Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas #1

So, we just got back yesterday from a wonderful time with Keith's family.

The plan this year was to spend some time together at a hotel in Winnipeg, and a few days at their house as well. We met in the city on Saturday afternoon. We had a great time at the hotel. Rowan loved the pool! I had forgotten how much he enjoyed water this summer! We ate at the Olive Garden (my personal favorite) and also at Boston Pizza. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling to good at Boston Pizza, so I didn't enjoy it as much as usual.

It was great to just relax and spend time together. On Monday, the girls (Alyssa, Michelle, and Stacey) and I went to Polo Park for a little quality shopping time. Didn't buy a whole lot, but it was fun to go somewhere without hauling Rowan along. (Thanks Mom!!) Keith and Dad went to the Aviation Museum, while Mom took Rowan to the pool again. After a quick lunch at Alyssa's place, we headed to Mom & Dad's. For those of you who don't know, it takes a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get from Winnipeg to their place.

When we were just a few miles from home, we noticed this huge billowy cloud of black smoke. We didn't really think much of it until we were only about one or two miles away. Then we started to worry! It looked like the smoke was coming either from Mom & Dad's, or Uncle Del & Auntie Pat's. By the time we got to the corner, we figured it was coming from Del & Pat's. Not good! Keith quickly drove onto the yard, and discovered that their biotec machine shed was on fire! (It's a metal frame with a tarp roof) Alyssa ran to the house to see if anyone was home, and would have called 911, except that just then two fire fighters arrived in their own vehicles to assess the situation. I guess someone else saw the smoke too! Anyway, Del & Pat were not home, and they didn't arrive until the fire fighters and emergency responders were ready to leave. It was a pretty dramatic afternoon. We were all very worried that everything would be destroyed. Turns out that it wasn't quite as bad as we first thought it would be, but it's still bad enough! Their newest tractor was totally destroyed, and the tires melted off of a few other things, like one combine and the grain truck. Not sure how much other damage was done to the other equipment.

So, after that whole fiasco, we all tried to relax in the evening by playing some games. And yes, Michelle, I was VICTORIOUS in phase 10!! Play again on Saturday? (we had a little friendly rivalry going!) On Tuesday, Mom made a wonderful turkey dinner with the giant turkey that Michelle won at work. It was sooo good! Then we cleaned up, and went downstairs to open gifts. Thank you so much, to Alyssa, and Mom & Dad for the gifts you gave!! I sure wasn't expecting anything after our great weekend together.

All in all, it was a great weekend, except for the fire, and I owe a huge apology to Amy, for not calling. By the time I remembered after the whole fire thing, it was too late to find time to get together. That really sucks!! We sure miss you guys.

To those of you who are expecting pictures, I also have to apologize. WE FORGOT OUR CAMERA AT HOME!!! How dumb is that! Anyway, if you read this far, good for you, and have a great Christmas!


Aunt Sheila said...

So, you should know by now that when I read that you weren't feeling all that great at Boston Pizza, I might ask if you had a "particular" flu?

aunt Monika said...

Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Time will tell, I guess.

Anonymous said...

So Stacey, have you had Christmas with your side of the family yet?