Monday, April 09, 2007

23 Weeks & ....... CLOTH diapers???

Just got back from my checkup, and so far so good!  I was a little dissapointed that they weighed me BEFORE I got to empty my tremendously full bladder... can't be too accurate if you ask me!!  I definately gained more weight than I was hoping, but hopefully I will get outside for a good walk later on this afternoon!

Once again, my doc said this baby is a girl!  I can't remember exactly what the heart rate was, but it was either 152 or 162.  So, only 17 weeks left to wait and see if she's right...

I've been thinking a lot about cloth diapers lately.  It would be great to save a bit of money, or to at least not literally throw it away on diapers!  I calculated how much I probably spend on diapers in a year, and it's about $800-$1000!!  That's insane!  And Rowan has been in diapers for almost 2 years!

Last night I ordered some fancy looking cloth diapers from a webiste called jamtots.com.  Just a few to try out with Rowan for now, and then if I get the hang of it and decide I like it, I will order some more cheaper ones for the baby.  I ordered two kinds.  The first kind is called Baby Kangas.  They are made in Canada, so that's cool!  They have a waterproof cover and snaps to close them.  They are also a one size fits all diaper, so they are supposed to fit from 8-30 pounds!  I think they snap smaller for newborns.  I ordered the cornflower colour I think.  Here's a picture of them:



I also ordered a few called Bum Genius 2.0.  They are very similar, but they close with velcro instead.  The only colour that was available was Butternut.  Here's a picture of them:



The diapers that I will most likely buy more of, because they are cheaper (out comes the Menno in me!) are from a website called kidalog.net.  They are also Canadian.  I like the Baby Love diapers with the breathable waterproof covers.  Here's a picture:



What do you all think of cloth diapers?

11 comments:

Walter & Mel said...

Well I've gotta say good for you in trying cloth diapers out. I'm personally not one for cloth diapers. I bought three when I was expecting Jolee, but I never got around to using them just because I had a hard time keeping up with the large amounts of laundry from her puking. I didn't need to add to the pile. :)

Hope it works for you!

Andrea said...

I love cloth diapers!! haha...really though, I do!!!

DavenHeather said...

i love it. i would have (and will) if I didn't have the twins. that felt like too much work for me.. but yea i say go for it!

Aunt Sheila said...

I give you credit for wanting to try it. I personally never used them on the boys, nor did I want too, even if it would of saved some money. The money saved will just go to pay for the extra hydro and water when doing all that extra laundry! Yes I know, I'm the pessimist in the group! :) Good luck!

Irene said...

Sounds like a lot of work to me (I remember my aunt washing diapers twenty years ago). I would better spent the time with my kids and save the money on something else.

Anna said...

I remember changing your cloth diapers..not so much fun, usually your Mom left me disposables when I babysat. I tried with Ryan for a very short while, but the guy had BMs five times a day so we stuck to disposables.
A quote from your grandpa T "You don't smoke so just use pampers"
His way of justifying the cost. Sometimes I like his way of thinking.

I'll start clipping coupons for you!

The Stiffs said...

Hi Stacey,
Maybe you remember me from choir in high school? I am a year older than you, but I remember seeing you around. I have been reading your blog for awhile, please check out our blog if you'd like. Here's my comment on cloth:
I am not a mother yet(this is my disclaimer: I am still an idealist because I don't know the reality of life with baby(ies), but I think it's also very important to think about the impact we make on the environment by throwing out SOOO many disposables. I think cloth is a good choice for the savings and for doing our part in being green :)

Gina said...

Wow, good for you in wanting to try them out. I am not a mom but I think when the time would come I would take the easy way out and go with disposables! Good luck!

Andrea said...

Actually, cloth diapers hardly take up any time...you just throw them in the washer, etc...and it is waaaay cheaper even though your water & electricity bills do go up a BIT! And it's not so bad to change them either...I guess I say don't say they're bad, time consuming etc. until you've tried them yourself. :)

Stacey said...

Well, I knew that I'd get all sides of the story if I blogged about this!! Thanks everyone for your comments. And I'm not too worried about the extra hydro or water either. There's no way I would spend an extra $1000-$1500 over two years on that!!

Drea said...

hehe exciting! im pumped to get mine. BTW im going to write about why i havent gotten mine yet... mail mixup! their fault ;-)