Friday, April 27, 2007

Frugal Friday


Yesterday I was thinking a lot about 'stuff' and how there are so many things that I would love to have.  Then I stopped, and just thought about how much I already have, and what am I doing with it?  I realized that I need to be more thankful, because thinking about it too long makes me jealous of those who have more than me, and makes me want things that I don't need.

This morning I was reading in the book of James.  Here's a bit of what I read, that I want to share with you:

James 4:1-6
What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don't get it.  You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want.  You quarrel and fight.  You do not have, because you do not ask God.  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.  You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?  Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.  Or do you think Scripture ways without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?  But he gives us more grace.  That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."


I could go on, but you get the point.  Our motivation so often turns out to be selfish.  Not cool!  So, today I want to post a few ideas that help us to SAVE money, so we can help those around us, and be good stewards of our money, instead of using it selfishly.

My first thought was hanging my laundry out to dry.  This is something my mom usually did when I was a kid, and I always loved the smell of those air dried clothes!  My husband is also pretty good about reminding me how much it costs to use the dryer!  (Love you Keith!!)  It really is a very economical thing to do.  And really easy.  It just takes a little extra time out of my day.  Another bonus; your clothes won't shrink!!



The second thing I thought of was garage sales.  Not only buying things at them, but selling stuff too.  Ever need a few extra $$ for something?  There are probably many things in our homes that we rarely use, if ever.  So, why not sell them in order to buy that new thing you have your eye on?  Or, give the stuff or the money to someone who needs it more than you?



These are my thoughts for the day.  If anyone has more ideas, feel free to post in the comment section.  Or, if you blog about this, let me know by leaving a comment.  Thanks!!  Have a frugal day!

11 comments:

Mark , Rosalie & family said...

Thank you for this post. I'm not sure how I even ended up at your blog, but I have enjoyed your insights. I know I can so easily become dissatisfied when I focus on what I don't have rather than what I do have. I don't think we would ever be totally 'satisfied' with the stuff we have. This hit home one day when I was visiting a friend who had just moved into a brand new home. I have to admit I was a little envious. When I asked her if she was happy with the way their house turned out she said "Until I see someone else's new home." Wow, that really made me think, I would probably be the same way. I need to have an eternal perspective. One that goes beyond today, and the things I think I 'need' and focus instead of what will profit me eternally. (A great book that has challened me about this by John Bevere 'Driven by Eternity') Our life is here on earth is such a small part of eternity, but yet we put so much emphasis on just that. Thanks again for the reminder.

aunt sheila said...

Amen sista! I have felt this same way for a while now. When we purchased satellite t.v 1 1/2 years ago, I felt very guilty, not that we couldn't afford it, but just that that money could of gone to help someone else out instead of using it for our own viewing pleasure. So 8 months later we decided to scrap the satellite and put that money into sponsoring a child from Kenya. Amazingly enough, the boys were very excited to do this too. They weren't the least bit sad about giving up their shows, and neither were Ken and I! There's a lot of things that we can do without.

Andrea said...

Yes!! I love being frugal, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheap stuff...and especially free stuff! (like hanging laundry out to for the free wind to dry it all!!) haha :)

kowalsons said...

Totally LOVE your thots!! I think that we can all use reminders like this to better both our lives and others' lives. Blessings!!

KC said...

Very wise words. This is a great post.
I found your blog while reading your comments over at adventures in babywearing. the post about the BFing mothers and the nasty letter the man wrote.. I liked your comment over there(ITA with what you said) so I had to come check out your blog also :)
I'll be coming back to read more.

Jobina said...

Have fun being frugal! Here's some of the things I've tried in the last few years...
1. Walk! First of all, you can't get very far so the chance that you'll find yourself somewhere where you may spend money is reduced.
2. Buy meat in the discount bin. Now, I'm not talking the nasty looking grey meat, but often you can find meat that is due that day and is still in great shape. Yay, supper, and you don't have to take meat out of the freezer! Oh, also, over-ripe bananas in the sale bin for muffins and breads.
3. Before you go shopping for clothes for you or your children, get together what they already have and start making outfits. Write down what you need to complete them and try to stick to your list. I recently did this with Trinity's closet and found that even though there is TONNES out there that I'd love to buy for her, she needed only 3 t-shirts, a pair of sandals and a hat. Done, for $22 at Walmart.
4. Teach your kids the value of money. I know that sometimes we think they don't understand, but I think it's important to start teaching them at an early age. Not only that, you hear yourself saying the words over and over and you know what? It starts to stick! Last month Riker begged during every shopping trip for strawberries. I told him that we had to be really careful of our money this month because they both needed sandals and Trinity needed a bike. We bought apples and bananas all month. He helped weigh them and figure out what was cheaper and had a lot of fun with it. At the end of the month, we had done so well with our budget and strawberries were a good price so I bought some. Riker was ecstatic! He said, "Mommy, we had extra money for strawberries!" It did my heart good and we all enjoyed the reward!

Donna said...

I love being frugal too.

Latley my daughter has been in to clothing and wanting the really cute stuff, I am trying to teach her that we immediatly go to the clearnace section..I rarely buy original priced stuff!

I can't wait to take advantage of garage sales..and I never thought about hanging clothes to dry, I might have to hav emy hubby set a line up for me!

I really do try to stay focused on needs over wants, it has been easy in the past with our income, but this summer we are going to be making much more, and me and my husband are trying to be careful..it is hard but we can do it.
Especially knowing it will please God!

Great post!

Donna said...

Jobina

I do that with my kids clothes! My daughter had a lot of skirts that still fit but the shirts are too small, so I made a list of colors needed and watch for them while shopping!! Isn't fun to be creative and frugal!!!

Stacey said...

Thank you ALL for your great comments! Love your ideas Jobina! By the way, when is the garage sale weekend?

Jobina said...

Saturday of Mothers Day weekend is the Garage sale. Are you coming in? I'm definitely going! Send me an email.

katie marie said...

Good for you for looking for ways to save money! I must admit, I have been terrible about this lately. However, I was having a discussion recently about how tithing is a great way to be a good steward of your money. Not only are you obedient to God's word, and support your church- you get money back on your taxes that you wouldn't have otherwise! :-)