Thursday, April 19, 2007

Playing with play dough

Yesterday I made Rowan some play dough for the first time!!  He played with some at our stay and play group the other day, and seemed to really enjoy it.  I found a really easy recipe for Kool-Aid play dough on the internet, and when he woke up from his nap, we pulled out the cookie cutters.  He really liked it, and it smells so good, thanks to the Kool-Aid.  Here's the recipe:

Kool-Aid Play Dough
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1 pkg Kool-Aid (The unsweetened stuff in the small paper package)
2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a small pot.  Add water and oil.  Stir over low-medium heat until it forms a ball around the spoon.  (Just use common sense with the texture of it)  It will seem a bit lumpy.  Take it out of the pot and knead it a bit, with a sprinkle of flour if it needs more.  Make sure to store it in an airtight container.









Yesterday Heather and I went for a walk, and we went to the local MCC to check out what they had.  I found myself a good old-fashioned diaper pail for $1.50!!  Sure can't beat that price!  I cleaned it with bleach water, and it's ready to go!


10 comments:

Walter & Mel said...

Now there's a recipe I might try! I was just talking to my sister-in-law about playdough and how my recipes just aren't that great. Thanks!

DavenHeather said...

MCC is awesome. i found a new safety first fully loaded good as new fancy diaper pail there.. for $5.00. not sure what they were thinking. good deal.

Drea said...

I WANT IT! jealoussss!!!!!!!

Amber said...

That is really cool! I have never tried making play dough, but that sounds simple enough! I've been avoiding the whole play dough thing (what a mean Mom, huh??!) because I never really liked playing with it as a kid and it just seems so messy (images of it stuck to rug, in hair, gross salty hands, kids eating it, etc.) but I think I'm just going to have to get over my fears ;) Hailey plays with it at our moms group too, so she'd be thrilled to have some at home!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Andrea said...

yeah, those thrift stores can have some awesome deals!! That's where my mom found both of my diaper pails...or maybe 1 was at a garage sale. Anyways, I'm glad you found one!! :) Rowan is looking SO grown up, I can hardly believe it!! And I'm definitely going to save that recipe for playdough...sounds like a keeper!

Stacey said...

~Mel
I think my mom also had this recipe when we were kids. It's nice and soft.

~Heather
It's amazing what they price stuff at there! You can find some nasty old clothes for $10, and some great stuff for 25 cents!!

~Drea
I'm hoping to find another one yet, maybe at a garage sale or something. You should check around... you may just find one kicking around!!

~Amber
Yeah, play dough can be pretty messy sometimes. I think I'm going to make it a rule that it only gets played with at the dining room table.

~Andrea
You are the QUEEN of garage sale bargains!!

Jay Boaz said...

The concept of constructing my own play dough has never even occurred to me. I'm curious, based on the cost of the ingredients and the amount of play dough you get in one batch, how much do you figure you save compared to the name brand stuff you can buy?

JBo

Wendy said...

That is one of my fav. pd recipes! I used to make it all the time for my preschoolers! It smells much better then the store bought stuff! Sometimes we would add different types of extract for more smells but Kool-aid was always the strongest:)

Dianna said...

It's amazing what one can find @ garage saling also. I plan on doing that for sure a couple times this summer yet.

Evi said...

I had a bucket just like that. Does your lid still have the cover inside for a little circular 'stink busting' disk? I think you can still buy those, they look like urinal cookies but it sure helps keep the ammonia stench down a bit.
Great recipe...I use the same one too...it's tried and true with my four rugrats!
Hey, I got on the TopMomma board...would you come over to my website and nominate me?