Monday, June 04, 2007

A Favorite Band

I've been thinking about doing a post like this for quite a while.  How many of you love music?  I do!  I have always loved listening to and being a part of music.  I love to sing, and I used to play clarinet and bass clarinet in school.  I also took piano lessons, but I'm definately not comfortable behind a piano!

When I was around 15 I think, I went to Briercrest Bible College for Youth Quake, which is a huge youth retreat weekend for high school students.  There was this band that played a few songs one evening, made up of a few students from the school.  They were really good!  A few months later, this same band came to my tiny little church and did a concert.  That was SUPER COOL!  We ended up having two of the guys stay at our house for night, so we got to visit with them a bit, and get to know them.

Well, fast forward a few years, and now they are one of the best Christian bands that I can think of!  Ever heard of Downhere?  

These guys are so honest and humble in the way they present themselves, that I find it hard to remember that they are famous already!  Not to mention that they are CANADIAN!!

I don't own their newest album yet (called Wide-Eyed & Mystified), and my very first album from them got stolen, but pretty much everyone in my family has the new disc, and it's AWESOME!!  One of my favorite songs is called Little Is Much.  Here are the lyrics:

Little Is Much

What is the measure of a life well lived
If all I can offer seems too small to give
This is a song for the weaker, the poorer
And so-called failures

Little is much when God's in it
And no one can fathom the plans He holds
Little is much when God's in it
He changes the world with the seeds we sow
Little is much, little is much

Who feels tired and under-qualified
Who feels deserted, and hung out to dry
This is a song for the broken, the beat-up
And so-called losers

Consider a Kingdom in the smallest seed
Consider that giants fall to stones and slings
Consider a child in a manger
Consider the story isn't over
What can be done with what you still have



Isn't that awesome!!   I encourage you to check out Downhere the next time you want to purchase some great quality music, and support the work of these talented musicians!

8 comments:

dustin said...

i think they are coming to winnipeg sometime soon, or at least that is what is what i was told

Walter & Mel said...

I love Downhere. We only have their first (?) album with my favorite song "The Storm".

Walter & Mel said...

I just tried that playdough recipe you posted a while back and... IT WORKED! Woohoo! We have a winner! Thanks!

Erin said...

I LOVE Downhere!! My favorite song is "Calmer of the STorm!" I'm totally into music also, I've been playing the piano since I was 9 years old, and also singing since I was in school!!!

The Thiessens said...

Love their music...and, YES...they are a great bunch of guys! "Calmer of the Storm" is definitely one of my faves too.
Dustin is right - they are coming to Wpg, playing at the Ex - so we need to tickets soon!
Mom

Tornado said...

yeah i've heard of downhere, i even had lunch with them at abundant springs in 01 or 03 one of the two.

Andrea said...

Yay for Downhere!! I remember coming to see them in concert in Winkler! And now they are famous! It's crazy, but I definitely LOVE their music. :) Jonathan bought me their new cd when I was in the hosiptal after having Tate!! I was pretty excited, the only downside was I couldn't listen to it in the hospital! hehe...oh well, I came home quick enough anyways!

Dianna said...

Never heard of them but will check them out as I'm curious how the sound. Can you view my blog yet?/ Pls let me know asap