Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A MUST READ for mommies

I don't have time to post much tonight, but this I found was really important, and I couldn't wait to share it.

My mom just brought this to my attention today, and I was shocked at what I read!  If you have infants or young children who use bottles, you MUST read this!  Scary what manufacturers can get away with.

For Immediate Release:
For More Information:
Contact Rachel Gibson
(415) 622-0086 ext. 304

Toxic Chemical Leaches from Popular Baby Bottles

A hormone-disrupting toxic chemical known to be a developmental, neural, and reproductive toxicant—called bisphenol A—leaches from popular clear, plastic baby bottles, according to a new report released today by Environment California Research and Policy Center. In Toxic Baby Bottles: Scientific Study Finds Leaching Chemicals in Clear Plastic Baby Bottles, Environment California Research and Policy Center worked with an independent laboratory to determine whether toxic chemicals leach from the most popular baby bottles on the market.

“A child’s first few years are an exciting time for parents who hope that their child starts his or her life happy and healthy,” said Rachel Gibson, Environmental Health Advocate and Staff Attorney for Environment California, who is the report’s author. “Unfortunately, parents do not have the information they need to adequately protect their children from toxic chemicals. California should require manufacturers to remove toxic chemicals from children’s products and, in the meantime, give parents the information they need to make informed purchasing decisions—right away.”

Environment California Research and Policy Center worked with an independent laboratory to analyze five of the most popular brands of baby bottles on the market to determine whether bisphenol A—a chemical linked to developmental, neural, and reproductive problems—leached from the bottles into liquids contained inside them.
The five bottle brands tested include: Avent, Dr. Brown’s, Evenflo, Gerber, and Playtex.
All five bottle brands leached bisphenol A at levels found to cause harm in numerous laboratory animal studies.

Bisphenol A is most commonly used to make clear polycarbonate plastic for consumer products, such as baby bottles. Through use, this plastic breaks down and leaches bisphenol A into liquids and food to which it comes into contact.

Scientists have linked very low doses of bisphenol A exposure to cancers, impaired immune function, early onset of puberty, obesity, diabetes, and hyperactivity, among other problems.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found bisphenol A in the urine of over 95% of people they tested. Alarmingly, the median level of bisphenol A found in humans is higher than the level that causes adverse health effects in animal studies.

In June 2006, San Francisco became the first jurisdiction in the United States to pass a prohibition on the use of bisphenol A in toys and child care articles intended for use by children under the age of three. California will likely consider similar legislation this year.

In the absence of both government action and adequate information about the presence of toxic chemicals in consumer products, Environment California Research and Policy Center recommends that parents and others caring for children do the following:
Choose glass or safer-plastic baby bottles;
Never heat food or beverages in plastic containers or bottles, which can speed up the leaching process;
In washing plastic products, avoid harsh dishwashing soap and hot water, both of which speed up the leaching process; and
For additional helpful tips and other information, visit

“Parents cannot be expected to deal with these issues on their own,” said Gibson. “California must act to assist parents and ensure that products on the market are not potentially harmful for children.”

Environment California Research and Policy Center calls on California to:
Phase out the use of bisphenol A and other hazardous chemicals, especially in products used by children;
Require manufacturers to label children’s products with the name of any potentially dangerous chemical and the specific health risks associated with the chemical; and
Reform chemicals policy to require chemical manufacturers to demonstrate that their chemicals are safe before they are allowed on the market and in consumer products.

For a tip sheet, parents should visit


Ellen said...

very interesting to read!! I guess there's just another benefit to using the liners, no need to worry about toxins like this :)

Donna said...

I am so sad to hear this. Consumers are at the mercy of companes and they just push the limits with everything. It makes me want to become a strict, orgnaic, enviromentalist type person.

What else do we use that is harmful to us?? Probably everything.

I used Avent!

Stacey said...

I wouldn't be so sure those liners are safe either. If you are microwaving them, there are always toxins in plastic.

I actually have known for a few years that plastic water bottles in general (like the kind you buy water in, or buy to reuse for water bottles) are not safe for this exact reason. My brother worked at a sports shop where they sold SIGG bottles. These are much safer than usuing those water bottles. They are made with food grade aluminum. I wonder if they make baby bottles too? It would sure warm up fast in a metal container, in hot water!

Shanilie said...

Great article and post. Yes, it really is scary what some companies get away with. It is good to know all the factors. I used to boil my nipples after every use, but I always wondered if they were releasing any harmful chemicals. Other than BF for the firs 2 months+ I used the liners but would heat the bottle in a bowl of warm water. Worked like a charm :)

Ellen said...

yeah, I don't microwave them for the most part - I can see that the toxins are release more so after use of repeated heating and cooling - you would think that they would make a better product for babies - so what are all plastic sippie cups and kids plastic cups all unsafe?

The Thiessens said...

Just thought I'd also pass on that there apparently is a safer alternative. See
I also wondered about my tupperware plastic cups, it's probably time to throw those out.

Jobina said...

It's interesting, alarming and controversial. I checked it out a bit on the net and came across this article too:
Sorry for the crazy long address. It says that levels are safe. So what's the truth then? I want to choose what is safe for my family, but I don't want to over-react and start cleaning out cupboards without researching things. Have you looked it up some more too? What have you found?

Jobina said...

Me again. I surfed around again and found more articles to support your Mom's. At an article not only talked about water bottles and baby bottles but also:

"Bisphenol A has been used as an inert ingredient in pesticides (although in the US this has apparently been halted), as a fungicide, antioxidant, flame retardant, rubber chemical, and polyvinyl chloride stabilizer.

These uses create a myriad of exposures for people. Bisphenol A-based polycarbonate is used as a plastic coating for children's teeth to prevent cavities, as a coating in metal cans to prevent the metal from contact with food contents, as the plastic in food containers, refrigerator shelving, baby bottles, water bottles, returnable containers for juice, milk and water, micro-wave ovenware and eating utensils.

Other exposures result from BPA's use in "films, sheets, and laminations; reinforced pipes; floorings; watermain filters; enamels and vanishes; adhesives; artificial teeth; nail polish; compact discs; electric insulators; and as parts of automobiles, certain machines, tools, electrical appliances, and office automation instruments" (Takahashi and Oishi 2000)."

Basically, we're surrounded by this! Maybe Donna is right and we need to remove ourselves from some of this!

Donna said...

One more thought...this make breastfeeding best for another reason!

Although it isn't possible to breastfeed forever or for every baby.
(I know I have been there!)