Monday, August 20, 2007

Going 'Green'

No, not green with envy!  I'm talking about conserving energy, throwing away less garbage, and generally doing what we can for the environment.  This has been a pretty hot topic lately, and I thought I'd get in on it too.

Keith and I haven't changed a whole lot of what we do, but there are a few changes that we've made that I think are great.  We switched to cloth diapers and wipes a few months back, and I'm loving it!  I can't believe how much garbage we used to have when we had Rowan in disposables.  Right now Bria is still in disposables, until she's a little bigger and I've used up the stash of diapers that I got (some as gifts, others I had bought a while back).  Did you know that it is actually against the law to throw the poo away with the diaper?  Even though it is a disposable, you are supposed to flush the poo down the toilet before disposing of the diaper!  And if you're going to do that anyway, why not use cloth, which is so much softer and cuddlier on your babies bottom!



Along those same lines (haha!) would be drying clothes outside on the line whenever possible.  This summer has been particularly bad for that though, with super high humidity.  One thing I'd really like to get it a good sturdy rack for drying clothes inside.  Anyone know where I can get one that isn't flimsy?  This will be especially nice for my cloth diapers.



A garden is another great way to be 'green'.  Not only is it way cheaper than buying your veggies in the store, but for all of you who are into organic, you control what you use to grow your own veggies!  Each year I try to can some of what we grow.  I don't do a lot, but I do make enough salsa, pizza sauce, dill pickles, and jam to last us the whole year!  I actually really enjoy canning, and that is super 'green' if you ask me.  Think of all the garbage I'm keeping out of the landfills this way!  (I do recycle by the way!)  And, as my mother-in-law says, the world would be a much better place if more women stayed home and grew a huge garden full of veggies!  Less crime from kids who have nothing to do, because it takes a lot of work to take care of a garden!



I would say that breastfeeding my kids is another way to help our environment.  Not only is it healthier for them, but it cuts down on all those formula cans out there.  Oh, and have you heard about the dangerous toxins in baby bottles?  Just google it for the latest findings.  I think you'd be surprised!

Oh, that also reminds me of something else!  Have you heard about Sigg bottles, or Klean Kanteen?  Both of these are high quality aluminum or stainless steel water bottles.  We each have a Sigg at our house.  Not only are they great because they prevent thousands of plastic bottles from being thrown into our landfills, but they come in super cool designs and colours!  Sigg bottles also have an optional thermos cover to keep your beverages cold.  (sold separately).



Now that I've listed some of the things that we do, I want to talk about something that really bugs me.  It's the crazy high prices of 'all natural' or 'green' products.  Even simple things like cloth grocery bags.  Why do people think that spending $30 on a designer bag actually saves anything?  Don't you think that our excessive spending is one of the biggest problems?  And who really needs 10 pairs of jeans?  This to me is just wasteful, when that money could be used for something far more important.  Let's all consider what we are spending our money on.  Do our kids really need a million toys?  Do we need to have the most expensive clothing?  Oh, and what is it with throwing away what we have in order to switch to something 'greener'.  This certainly isn't going to solve any problems!

I hope I've given you some food for thought.  Also, to know what really matters in this world, scroll down to read Dan & Laura's story.  Then consider yourself truly blessed when you look into your child's eyes today.  People are what really matters in this world.  I think of 1 Corinthians 13 (the love chapter) and paraphrase, "If I do all I can to make this world greener, but do not love those around me, I am just wasting my time."

10 comments:

Dallas & Tara Wiebe said...

Hi Stacey,
This is so interesting that you found Dallas through Mel's blog! We've been reading yoru blog a little since then...
Anyways, I noticed today that you have cloth diapers. We're looking into them and there are so many kinds...I'm just curious as to which ones you went with and what you think about them?!
Tara

Anonymous said...

wow....you put a lot of thought into this! You sound like a pretty smart girl :)

Warren & Liane Thiessen said...

Yeah a inside rack would be nice! If you find one let me know, if I find one I'll let you know!
I wish I would have room for a bigger garden, but I'm thankful for what I have (only that my tomatoes don't want to turn red :( this year)
Can't wait to do some canning. We're out of Pizza sauce!

I like thinking a little more "green" and another great thing is, that it can be cheaper (cloth vs. disposable diapers)

Walter & Mel said...

How big do you want this inside rack? My grandpa made my mom this large foldable wooden rack that has stood the test of time (big enough she can drape a large blanket over). Anyways, a friend of my parents is an excellent carpenter and borrowed my mom's drying rack to copy it and make his own. I think he wants to sell them as they are needed, but I'm not sure. Yeah, so if you are interested in a large one that is sturdy, just let me know and I'll see if I can find out how much he's charging.

Andrea said...

Hey Stacey!! just thought I should say hi! I've been wanting to phone you, but i know you're probably super busy with the two kiddos. :) Anyways, after reading Dan and Laura's story I really REALLY have thought again about how blessed I am to be able to look into the eyes of my baby boy every day! I cannot imagine the struggle of going through what they are going through...I keep praying and praying for them!! Wow.

Aunt Sheila said...

I agree with you on the garden thing. I don't do a lot of canning, but also having a bigger yard helps to keep kids out of some trouble.
Interesting you mentioned the "wasteful spending" topic. We had a great sermon in church yesterday about being generous, not just with our money, but with our time, which is just as important. But I agree, what does one person need with ten pairs of jeans!
I was going through the boys closets and drawers last night, and I almost thought it sinful how many t-shirts and sweatshirts they all had! Definitely don't need that amount of stuff! We are such a wasteful generation, and really it's sinful! Thanks for the reminder!

Brandi said...

I realized after we left Heather's that I didn't even hold your new little one! What a dissapointment. I don't know why I didn't think of it there! :p

Stam House said...

Love your post and thanks for sharing all your green stuff!!!!

I'm starting a new buisness here the link tell me what you think

http://harryandrenee.googlepages.com/home

Have a good day
Renee

Erin said...

Hey Stacey! I really wanted to go to the brunch, BUT....I have a wedding to go to that day (of all the days...) Anyhow, I was pretty bummed cuz I was really hoping to go to the brunch..hopefully everyone will have a great time!!

mAsOn & tErrI's mOm said...

So proud that your converting! I don't blame you about using disposables while she is so young. When they poop every 15 minutes! I would definitely invest (7 bucks?!?) in some Imerse (I think that it) liners...so if she just poops you can take the poo out and still use the diaper! ;-)