Thursday, September 13, 2007

Pizza Sauce Recipe

Well, in response to my lovely commenters, I'm going to post the recipe!!  I got this recipe from my Mom, and I'm not sure where she got it before that.  It is a great recipe that we all love a lot.  We use it for Pizza, Lasagna, Pasta Sauce, and whatever else you would use a tomato sauce for!  Enjoy!

Pizza Sauce

1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 cup Chopped Onion
~Simmer together for 7 minutes

ADD:
2 tsp Minced Garlic
~Simmer for another 2 minutes

ADD:
12 cups Skinned & Blended Tomatoes
1 Chopped Green Pepper
1 1/3 Tbsp Oregano
1 1/2 Tbsp Basil
1/2 Bay Leaf, Crushed
6 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Pickling Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
4 Cans Tomato Paste (the small 6 oz cans, or use 2 - 13 oz cans)
~Simmer all for 1 hour

Pour into hot jars, one at a time.

Makes 8-9 pints.

*1 1/2 ice cream pails of whole tomatoes makes around 12 cups of blended tomatoes.
*To get the skin off of the tomatoes, put them in boiling water til the skins crack, then cool in ice water til they are cool enough to handle.

If you have any other questions about this recipe, just leave a comment and I'll post the answer later!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Our recipes are pretty much identical. This is my first time making it - it's so rewarding!

Donna said...

When you say hot jars...are these a type of jar or the jars need to be warm??

Don't think I am dumb, I just have never jarred anything before!

I am excited.

Gina said...

That's just like my recipe. Yummy. The only thing I do different is I leave the skin on, I have tried it both ways and it seems to be no different, so I figured not having to take it off is less work!

Stam House said...

MmmmmmMmmmmmMmmmmm

Dan & Laura said...

I might just have to try this! My mom has tones of tomatoes still and she's already made salsa and canned tomatoes. HOpe you're having a good day today.