Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Diaper Rash = Sleepless Nights

My baby has a severe diaper rash. Poor thing. It all started when we went to the city for her ultrasound. I decided to use some disposable diapers that were given to me. I figured it would be easier to just be able to throw them away instead of hauling around my wetbag and cloth diapers.

Now I wish I had just stuck with cloth! The rash got worse and worse, and nothing seemed to help. For a while I was using cornstarch, and washing her bum with baking soda water. It helped for a while, but then it got worse again when she had a poopy diaper during the night a few nights ago.

Last night Bria was up almost every hour. She just couldn't sleep I guess. So, this morning we headed over to the Pharmacy, and asked the Pharmacist for some help. He gave me some anti-fungal cream, and a 0.5% Cortisone cream to mix together.

I also read over at Dr. Sears website that lanolin helps, so I pulled out my tube of Lansinoh! I think I'll put that over the other creams to seal it in and keep the pee off. I'm so hoping that this will heal her tender tushie!

What have you tried that has worked for nasty rashes? I know I'm definitely sticking to cloth now! What to do with those extra disposables...

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I use a product called "Butt Paste"!! Works great although it is a nasty color:) LOL!! I hope her bottom heals quickly.

Jobina said...

Keep up with washing her bum during every change. There needs to be a barrier of some kind to protect the rash from the pee and poop. I just used vaseline, I'm not sure how you would get that off of cloth diapers though. Just make sure whatever you use, you use enough to really protect. Poor Bria, I can't stand diaper rashes. It makes us Mommies feel so bad! Chin up!

Andrea said...

I had that problem with Tate once too...and I FINALLY found something that worked (after all kinds of things!!!) It's called Burt's Bee's Diaper Cream and it is all natural and works GREAT! Drea uses it too, and she said it works great as well - so it's not just me. :) You can even get it at most drugstores - I know Pharmasave used to have it but they're closed now right? Anyways, it is AWESOME and I've never used another diaper rash cream of any sort EVER since I found out about this one! :) And Tate has never had another rash either because I just put it on as soon as it starts looking red and by morning it is always gone. Good luck!! And I hope Bria can sleep better tonight. :)

anita said...

i remember w/ Brett, it was soooo bad...after his bath i would just let him lay on a towel and use the hairdryer to gently soothe (and dry) his little bum...little babies love that...that was recommended to me by the public health nurse.

Jamy said...

Caden had a really bad rash a few months ago. So bad that he screamed when I changed him. We happened to be at his 6 month appt, so I asked the doc. She gave me a prescription for Caneston. Yup, yeast infection cream. It worked amazing. Within an hour his little bum looked so much better.

Kenzie Prudhomme said...

I know this post is really old but I wanted to share my new found free miracle cure for diaper rash... BREASTMILK
I know that seems really weird but it works.

Anonymous said...

Breastmilk, two bum soaks a day in warm water with baking soda and ground oatmeal, and most importantly... bare bum time! :)
Enjoy your blog.
Tinkermama