Sunday, February 10, 2008

An excellent weekend

We just said good-bye to Keith's family once again. I hate those moments! It seems like we hardly get to visit with them, and then the time is gone. Especially this time, because they only arrived at our place last night.

This morning the girls sang a special number with me in church, which was awesome! I love it when we get a chance to sing together. Singing by myself is fun, but when I get to chime in with all the beautiful harmonies that my sisters-in-law are great at, well, there's nothing quite like it! We sang 'Orphans of God', with the Friesen sister's twist!

Quite a while back, Alyssa called me asking if I had the Avalon CD with this song on it. I didn't, but I bought it from iTunes, and played it for them over the phone. So, they only really heard it a few times, and then they had to go by what they remembered. So, their performance is probably the only one of it's kind! I really like the parts that they changed.

This afternoon we headed over to Warren & Liane's house to try and record the song, just for fun. Warren has some recording equipment, and we've been dying to do this for a long time! The girls have had people ask them numerous times if they would record some songs, and it just never seems to work out. Well, today was no different. For some reason, we couldn't get it to record properly! But, we did get a video of the song, so once Warren gets that to me, I'll post it here for you all.

On a completely different note now. This morning we had an incredible church service. I'm not sure that I ever mentioned that our Pastor, Mike, has been training some church leaders and pastors in Haiti. He has been doing this for a few years now, and he usually comes back with a bit of a report. Today was just so powerful, I don't know how else to describe it.

Mike was telling us how the people of Haiti don't know how to serve each other. It's a place where you just look out for number one. He's been trying to help them understand that Jesus calls us to be servants. He said that he saw God's Word finally break through, when he demonstrated servanthood by washing the feet of one of the local pastors during a church service.

This in itself was so moving. It really caused me to evaluate my life, and what I'm doing for OTHERS, not myself. But, just as I was sitting there, deep in thought, Mike called up the leaders of the church, those who lead a small group, or serve in the church in various ways. Keith, Warren, Bruce, and my dad were called up with the rest of the group. Then Mike proceeded to wash all of their feet, while telling them how much he loved them, and thanking them specifically for the ways that they serve in the church. That was so encouraging to see and hear, and I couldn't hold back the tears.

This has really made me want to serve more. I'm going to figure out where my place is, and see what I can do. It's time to stop being comfortable.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

I think you have found your place but maybe just don't know it.
By leading worship time, singing, etc. are all examples of servanthood.
If the heart is in the right place, you are definitly serving others by what you're singing. We all have gifts and music is obviously yours. Use it to the best of your ability and you will be richly blessed for that!

Elaine said...

I will pray for you to find the right place. Sometimes it is right in front of us.

Rhonda said...

I agree with you completely Stacey. The message Mike gave, definitely gave me something to think about. And as always, you and your sister-in-law are such a blessing to listen to. Thank you for sharing your gift.

Jay Boaz said...

I agree with Sheila; leading worship time IS serving. There's nothing that says you shouldn't enjoy what you're doing to serve.

I sometimes have trouble differentiating between what I should do "on the clock" because I enjoy my job so much. I think serving can be the same way.

Jay

Dianna said...

Make sure you go to my blog for news.