Thursday, March 20, 2008

A few new favorites

Have you ever tried guacamole? I think I have found a new favorite snack! Seriously, this stuff is sooo yummy, and really, it's very healthy too! Especially since I'd rather have twice as much dip as chip :) I also usually buy the Multigrain chips. I've been putting guacamole on everything the last few days. I found a great recipe on Recipe Zaar, that I have changed just slightly.

Guacamole
2 Avocados
1 small/medium onion (use your discretion!)
1 clove garlic
Juice from 1 Lime
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

I toss the onion, garlic, avocados, and lime juice in the blender. Make it nice and smooth. The stir in the chopped tomato and the spices. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. It tastes even better the second day!

If you like your guacamole extra creamy, you can add a few tablespoons of cream cheese or sour cream. Just mix it in really well. Whipped cream cheese is easy to add in.


Another new favorite thing that my mom told me about is Live Clean. It's a new line of shampoo and conditioner that is free of harmful SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate & Sodium Laureth Sulphate), parabens, DEA, and animal products. I know there are probably other ingredients in it that may not be the best, but it's a good alternative to the more harmful products out there.

For my Canadian readers, you can find this at Superstore, but I haven't looked anywhere else for it. I have no idea whether it is available in the US at all, but if someone knows where else to purchase it, just leave a comment.
The shampoo and conditioner have a great clean scent. Not too heavy, so it's not going to bother anyone with a sensitive nose :)

Rowan has a new favorite thing too. Since it's been getting nicer out lately, he has been exploring in the garage. He found his bike helmet. You guessed it; he now walks around the house wearing his bike helmet. He even wanted to wear it to bed yesterday, but quickly found out that it really isn't that comfy for sleeping!
I'm glad he likes it though, because that will make it a whole lot easier to get him to wear it when he needs to.

We'll be heading out to visit Keith's family for Easter, so you likely won't hear from me til Monday. Have a great Easter holiday!

6 comments:

Jobina said...

Have fun and Roland and Laureen's! I'm going to look for that Shampoo and Conditioner next time I'm at Superstore just so I can sniff it. What are these harmful things that it doesn't have anyway?

Stacey said...

I forgot to post the link to the website! Oops. If you check out their website it talks about those harmful ingredients a bit. http://live-clean.com

Evi said...

I LOVE guacamole too...I use chopped up green chilies rather than the cayenne pepper for mine...and sea salt just tastes THAT much better then regular iodized. I'll have to try adding the cumin though.
BEWARE though Stacey dear...it is TERRIBLY high in fat (some of that being saturated at that) so GO EASY if you are concerned at all about that.

Andrea said...

Hmmm...guacamole - now there's something I've never tried before! But if it's as good as you say, I'd probably get addicted to it pretty fast too! Hope you have a great weekend!

Mrs. Hurzeler said...

Living in Arizona, there is guacamole everywhere, and avocado's everywhere. It does have saturated fat in it, but it has more good omega 3 fats in it, alot of super healthy people recommend using it like butter, spreading it on toast, and other uses. One time we ate avocado's dipped in batter and deep fried. So any healthy benefits went out the window that day! LOL. But everyone should try it, it is heavenly.

ONTARIO THIESSENS said...

Hi Stacey! Thanks for the Birthday wishes for Rachelle on our blog!

Just in response to one of your previous posts regarding your skin and eczema, I would highly recommend Vaseline. It works AMAZINGLY on the skin for sores. It lubricates so well and is longlasting, especially for overnight. It doesn't soothe itching though which often comes with eczema, but it really works in healing sores and protecting the skin from dryness. Rachelle had eczema like crazy when she was little and I wish I had thought to use Vaseline then because we used a lot of cortizone creams as well. Fortunately she doesn't have eczema nearly that bad anymore, but when she does get it she said she puts Vaseline on it and it really works for her.

~Aunt Brenda