Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bria

Just put her down for a nap (hoping that she will actually sleep this time) so I thought I'd take a minute to update you all.

Tuesday night was another bad one. I started her antibiotics that evening. I put her to bed, and hoped she would sleep, but nope, that wasn't going to happen. She cried probably at least every hour til about 3:00. Then I decided to nurse her to sleep, and see if that would work. It seemed to help, and she slept til about 8:30 in the morning.

Last night was more of the same, except this time she only slept from about 5:30 til 7:00. Needless to say, I am exhausted, emotional, and I have zero patience. I just want to lay down and cry.

I hate watching my baby be sick. Her temperature hasn't come down either. This afternoon it spiked to 104.8 F. So, I figured we needed to take another trip to urgent care, to see if there was anything else they could do.

I had an excellent Dr. there, who listened to me, and answered all my questions. He treated me like I deserved to know all the details, and like I was smart enough to understand. I really appreciated this, since some Docs make you feel just stupid that you ever came in.

He explained to me that he was the one who was working in the lab on her urine sample, and he had called me on Tuesday night. At that time, all they could tell was that there was some kind of bacteria growing, but they can only tell what it is by the next day. So, he had prescribed the antibiotic that he thought would be best. Turns out he was right about the type of bacteria, so we should be fine.

Apparently antibiotics take anywhere from 24-48 hours to kick in, and then her fever should come down. So, if she doesn't improve in the next 24 hours (which he said was highly unlikely), then there must be something else wrong. I'm so relieved to hear that things should start improving. This is just wearing us all down.

I hate to think of doing this over and over. I hope and pray that God will just heal her kidneys, make them normal, so we don't have to deal with this again. My friend Eva from church has had to deal with so much more with her little girl, who has a similar problem with her kidneys. I just can't imagine how they went through this over and over. But then, I guess I'm a bit wimpy when it comes to medical problems.

Thanks to all of you who are praying for Bria. Keep on praying!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I'm sorry to hear that Bria has been sick. I've been in my own little world trying to keep Alyssa comfortable. I am completely with you on the no sleep thing. Wednesday night to Thursday morning, Alyssa did not sleep at all. I'll be praying for you.