Saturday, July 26, 2008

Unexpected news...

First of all, I want to answer a few questions about my last post. Some of you are wondering if I can 'cheat' on this a bit. The answer is a very strong 'no'. When your body is reacting to something, it can detect even the slightest trace of that food. So I have to completely cut out all of the major offenders. The 'honorable mentions' that I posted should be fine for me to eat. They just rated really high in the 'insignificant' range. Bordering on an allergy.

I will be cutting out all these foods for at least one month. After that time, I can reintroduce them one at a time, looking for a reaction. If there is no reaction, I can eat small amounts of those foods. If there is a reaction, then I will have to cut it out altogether.

I went shopping yesterday afternoon, and I bought a few things to try for now. I bought brown rice pasta, a bunch of flours (rice, corn, potato, tapioca, etc) to try baking with. The one thing I didn't find was an egg replacer for baking. I did ask my health food store if they could order Ener G egg replacer, and they are going to try. They usually carry a different brand, but it is discontinued.

I was planning on starting my elimination diet on Monday, but something very unexpected has happened, and we will now be heading to Mennville for a funeral. Keith's beautiful, young cousin Katelyn died in a car accident Thursday night. This is just so sad and tragic. While we know we will see her again in Heaven one day, it's hard to grasp the fact that she is gone. She was such a sweet girl.

Please pray for her family. No parent ever expects to bury their child. Katelyn also has 3 siblings and a soon-to-be sister-in-law. This is going to be a very hard time for everyone.*Katelyn is the girl sitting on the bench*

10 comments:

3 for Me!! said...

I'm soo sorry...it's always hard to loose someone unexpectedly.....

but praise God that you have the Eternal hope that you'll see her again!!!

I'll be praying for your family!!!

Jobina said...

We were so shocked by the news and our hearts hurt for all the family and Katelyn's close friends. We are praying for all of you.

Mom & Dad said...

So sorry to hear about Keith's niece...such very sad news...our hearts are aching for this family. As a parent we cannot fathom how painful it must be to lose your child. We didn't know them well, but haven't stopped thinking about them and praying for them as they make this difficult journey.

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry about Katelyn too! That is the kind of news no one ever wants to hear. At least you have the comfort that she was a Christian, but i know that doesn't necessarily make things any easier! I'll keep you guys in my prayers!! And about the egg thing - when I was nursing Tate and could't eat any eggs cause he would react to it, I used something called Egg Replacer by Celimix. It is 100% gluten and wheat free...the ingredients are (I'm looking at the box now since I have some leftover) corn starch, potoato starch, soy flour, baking powder, guar gum. And although I did by mine at the health food store, I also saw it in Superstore - in the baking isle, so you might be able to find it there!

Stam House said...

Glad you find some food to eat! let us know how the ellimination diet goes!

Sorry about the sad news! will be praying!

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh my goodness- how heartbreaking. I am so sorry for the family's loss.

And as for the Ener-G egg replacer- that's what we use, too. Do you have a local healthfood store? That's where we get it or you might also be able to get it at Amazon?

Thinking of you...

Steph

Wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear about Keith's niece. So sad when someone so young passes away:(

Lani is also allergic to eggs. My allergist gave me this little recipe to use as an egg replacer in baking. It truly works and I haven't noticed a difference at all. I am not sure if the other ing. will effect your other allergies, but it's worth a shot.

*1 tsp baking powder
*1 tbs water
*1 tbs vinegar.

This is for one egg so you would had to double, triple, etc depending on how many eggs the recipe calls for.

Andrea said...

So sorry and so sad. It's so hard to have a loved one leave us. *hugs*

Ellen said...

I tagged you on my blog - check it out..

That is really heartbreaking for the friends and family!! no mother ever expects to bury a child!!

Erin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about such a tragic loss..it is true as parents we never want to bury a child...I will be praying for this family.