Friday, August 08, 2008

another sling & edible brownies!

My blogging friend Erin asked me to make a sling for her, and I had a lot of fun at the fabric store looking for just the right fabric :) There was a big sale on, due to our local festival being this weekend. I hope Erin will love this sling! Hopefully we'll be able to meet up next week and I can pass it on to her then. I love how it's feminine while being boyish enough for her little man.

I finished the sling this morning, and I think I'm definitely getting better at sewing! Making slings is fairly easy, but pleating the shoulder was pretty tricky at first. I think I've got a pretty good system down now.

Yesterday I finished off my box of Allergen-free cookies, and I thought I'd try and make something that I could eat when I get a craving for something sweet. Anyone who is new to gluten-free baking will know that it is not easy! The flours are so different, and some of them can make your baking taste gritty.

I'm pretty impressed with the brownies I came up with. I used a recipe from Recipe Zaar as a guide, but altered it to suit what flours I had. I also can't have eggs, so I used an egg replacer. While I wouldn't say these are the best brownies I've ever had, they sure do hit the spot :)

Here's the recipe. I would post a picture, but I have them all wrapped up in the freezer already.

Allergen-Free Brownies

1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
3/4 cup Flour Mix
1 cup Sugar
6 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Canola Oil
Egg Replacer, equivalent to one egg
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

Mix all together til there are no lumps. Pour into a greased 9" square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Make sure you don't over-bake. These turn out really gooey, but not chewy.

5 comments:

Stam House said...

The sling look awesome!!! and feminine but will be fitting for a little men good job!

3 for Me!! said...

Great job on the sling:)

Glad you've found brownies to eat... they seriously were the hardest thing for us NOT to have for so long when we found about our egg-allergy:)

Erin said...

Stacey, it looks amazing!!! I can not wait to use it with Noah..wooohoooo!!!! I can't believe you're finished already, too..wow!! I'm so excited! PS...thanks for the linkey love :)

Jamy said...

Just wondering, if you can't have milk products, how do you put chocolate chips in cookies?

Andrea said...

You're so crafty... beautiful job. You should make an etsy store!!!