Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Too Funny; Too Sad

Hi, It's Rosalie again.
Here is another post that I wrote way back in May of last year.
Still holds true today.
Hope you get something out of it :)


I had an interesting experience the other day. I met a lady who looked at the 3 children I had with me that day and said, "You have three, I only have 2 and I can't handle them. I don't know how you do it!" Caught a little off guard at this comment seeing that I didn't even have 1/3 of our children with me, I just smiled. But as she went on and on about how did I do it, I just had to say something! So I said "You wouldn't believe it if I told you how many more we have!" To this she threw up her hands and exclaimed, "I don't even want to hear it!" and she got in her car and drove away.

Even though this was quite humorous, it is also sad at the same time. Is this really the general feeling of society today? Two is even too much? Now those of you who know me well know that I love having a big family and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being a mom to 10 kids!

One day another lady was talking to me about our family and made the comment (bless her heart:) that I shouldn't have had so many children. I turned to her and said. "Which one do you suggest I shouldn't have had?" To this she was a little lost for words, but really. Why would anyone wish their children away. Yes they take energy, patience, lots of love and forgiveness, but why do we tend to focus on the negatives? I don't even let thoughts come into my head of when I was single or just married and had all the time in the world to do my things. That's counter-productive. God has given me these children, and my job, my privelage is to love and care for them. No self pity, no grumbling, no wishing is going to change that. Mothering is hard work, I will never deny that, but what are the rewards? A part of you that will be there as long as God wills, someone who will always come to you for advice and a little lovin'. I am tired of the attitude that children are an inconvenience and mess up our life. The Bible says children are a blessing and a reward. So if you have children, give them an extra hug today and thank God for them, whether it's one, two, three,.....or 15 (yes, I know people who have that many!) and rejoice in being a mom.

5 comments:

Bruce and Heather said...

10 kids, that's awesome! I only have one so far, and am pregnant with #2. Right now it's really hard cause I've been feeling very lousy. I'm just looking forward to feeling better:)

The Pauls' said...

Ya, it can be hard being pregnant and having a little one to run around after. Keep your chin up. It will get better!

Shanna said...

I love this. I love your comment to the lady! LOL Thats perfectioN! Off to give luvins!

ONTARIO THIESSENS said...

Wow, 10 kids, going on 11!! I think that's pretty amazing, but truthfully not everyone would be cut out to manage having such a large family. I (we) have 4 kids which is perfect for us. Years ago I thought it would have been nice to have another baby, but for me physically and emotionally it was better that we didn't, although I didn't see it that way then - today I realize it was a wise decision. However if God had given us more children we would have been thrilled. Children certainly are a blessing from God and one would never wish any of them away. All of our children are very much a blessing and being a Mom IS truly rewarding and God DOES enable & strengthen me ... but somehow, I cannot pretend that am not still human. I have to be realistic about what is manageable for us, not only emotionally and physically but also financially. I know that God provides all of our needs but somehow I just can't picture myself (us) managing more than four kids. There's just so much stuff in life to deal with it's very overwhelming to me; my coping levels just aren't as high as some peoples', I guess. You have to admit that large families like yours are quite uncommon these days and I think a lot of people would find it surprising, but that doesn't mean it isn't a wonderful thing or that your children aren't a blessing. I know as a Christian I see things differently than society does even in terms of being a stay-at-home Mom. There are so many pressures to conform to society. Anyway ... so what I guess I'm trying to say is...way to go and God bless!! :)
~Brenda

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that inspiring post! As a mother of two (my youngest is turning one this month) I have really been thinking a lot about how many children we should have and when one knows that you are done. It's encouraging to know that there are those out there that have gone through having that many kids and still feel positive about it. In my husband's family it is very much the thought (of the sisters, not his mom) that kids are alot/too much work (they each have one).