Monday, February 16, 2009

A gentle answer

Lately it has become very clear to me that I have an anger problem. I go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat. I'm sure I could come up with a million useless excuses, but I think it's time I get beyond that and deal with it. My kids are not going to learn to be gentle and forgiving if I spend my time yelling instead of speaking softly. I have seen it before, and I know that this following verse is 100000% true.
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
~Proverbs 15:1
Not only will angry words not teach my children gentleness, but they also cause my children to be angry.

My goal is to really meditate on the following verses daily, and pray for a spirit of gentleness with my kids.

"The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

"In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. "
~Numbers 14:18

"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love."
~Psalm 103:8

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control."
~Psalm 29:11

"Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools."
~Ecclesiastes 7:9

8 comments:

3 for Me! said...

I think I alot of us struggle with this... I read that Mr Duggar...father of now 18.. thought that he DIDn't have an anger problem until he had toddlers...LOL

Seriously though, Mrs Duggar quotes Prov 15:1 (like you) and PURPOSEFULLY corrects her children with a "gentle, quiet voice"! Try it!! It's amazing how the kids respond...

I'll be working on it too;)

Anonymous said...

Stacey, I hear you loud and clear. I struggle with anger too and often pray that God would give me strength to be more gentle and patient with the kids, and I fail over and over again. I don't think I do a very good job relying on Him, but rather on myself. Thanks for sharing, knowing that I am not alone in this helps me. And it was a great reminder.
All the best to you with that challenge! God bless
Irina

~~Mel~~ said...

Oh boy do I hear you...it's amazing what the little ones can bring out in us.

Andrea said...

Great post...Even though I think I'm more a calm, non-angry type, I definitely have my moments!! Great reminder.

Shanilie said...

That verse is one I think of often. but lol it is usually when it comes to Ryan

Though with Jacob I find I am starting to tell him lately "have patience" then for example if I ask him to listen and come sit at the table for supper he will say "mom, have patience" Which sends me a pang of frustration but the other part of me finds it rather amusing. I quite often have to stifle a smile because he is trying to be cute when he knows he is disobeying. arg

Kenzie said...

Oh Stacey I feel your pain. I feel like all I do sometimes is yell at my kids.
Thanks for posting those verses those are great!
I think I will print those off and put them on my fridge.

Ellen said...

Thanks for the great post Stacey! I used to have an anger problem as a child and probably into the mid teens, I thought I had dealt with it... until I had kids.. things seemed to come back rather fast. Thanks for the honesty, it's a tough thing to admit! Those are great verses, I will have to write them out for myself too. those are the times when I pray for grace for me and my kids, so they don't grow up angry because of my shortcomings!

amy said...

I am so glad that I am not the only Mom who deals with that! I've actually been thinking about that alot lately.. Thanks for the great verses.