Monday, April 27, 2009

It's Over

The long, painful struggle is over for Grandma Friesen. She was finally released from her suffering yesterday morning, and while we are all going to miss her like crazy, we are so relieved that she no longer has to fight for every breath.

Keith and I had our chance to say goodbye on Saturday. We spent the day in the hospital with the rest of the family. We struggled with what to do... should we stay til Sunday, or go home? We had a lot of responsibilities here at home for Sunday, so we came home late Saturday night. It was a long drive home, that's for sure.

Keith and I were on stage leading worship when he got the text from Pat. 'It's Over'. We still had another 2 songs to sing, later in the service, and I questioned whether I should go back up and try to sing. See, Saturday evening, me and Keith's sisters spent some time singing for Grandma. One of the songs was 'It Is Well'. This was also our last song on Sunday morning... I made it almost through before I broke down and cried. No one knew that we had just gotten the news, so they probably thought I had gone crazy or something.

Grandma will be missed, that's for sure. I'll miss her love 'punches' that she used to give before she got cancer. When she was strong and full of life. The energy that she had was just amazing. Serving others so selflessly. I will remember how she opened her home to my family as if they were her own. I will remember how she used to cook three times as much food as we needed for a family gathering, and then send us home with all the left overs. We never left their house empty handed. I will remember how much she loved my children. They were her only great grand children, and I'm sure with their red hair, they had a special place in her heart :) (Grandma had the same red hair that Bria has). I will remember her faith, and how she prayed so sincerely.

We love you Grandma, and will be missing you. Say hi to Kate, and enjoy the beauty of heaven. It will be more beautiful because of you.

8 comments:

~Kristina said...

I send you and your family prayers, strength and peace now and always.
Blessings!

Kenzie Prudhomme said...

oh Stacey I'm so sorry for your families loss. {{hugs}}

Shanilie said...

Oh Stacey Om so sorry. Think and praying for you.

Jobina said...

I'm so glad that you got to say goodbye to Mary. I loved going to her house too, she was the kind of person I love to be around, giving, a great cook and not to shy to give you a hug or a punch in the arm if she thought you looked like you needed it. She will be very missed!

Laura said...

so sorry Stacey. Hurting for you as you grieve.

Ellen said...

so sorry for your loss Stacey!

Cheryl said...

She indeed was a beautiful woman! I have MANY wionderful memories of your grandma as well. I spent countless sunday afternoons at thier house with Vicki. I always enjoyed her warmth and her sweet caring nature!She was also a blessing to my Mom on many occasions and I know they have already had many great visits in heaven together!

Andrea said...

God Bless you and the family.