Tuesday, May 05, 2009

It's been a long week

I feel like I'm still getting back on my feet after a long long week. We headed out on Thursday to join Keith's family for the weekend. The kids did really well on the drive, even though Bria (the little turkey) decided she didn't need to sleep in the afternoon! It was really nice to be altogether during such an emotional time.

Friday afternoon we headed over to Blumenort, and the Steinbach. We had supper with Gerald & Kathy (Keith's Dad's cousin) before heading over to the funeral home for the viewing service. Keith and I really had no idea what we were in for, thinking at first that it would just be a small family service. Nope. It was an open service, and there ended up being a few hundred people there! Bria was totally insanely hyper. It was crazy! So I spent the evening trying to run after her and keep her quiet. Note to self.... never take kids to a funeral home again!

Saturday was the funeral. It was great to see so many people out to support the family and grieve the loss of such a wonderful woman. Many of the grandchildren contributed in different ways to the service. Keith and Tyrone read a tribute from the grandchildren. Justin, his girlfriend, and his uncle sang a couple songs. (And I just have to say, Anastasia, you have an amazing voice!) Alyssa, Michelle, Stacey, Keith, and I lead some congregational songs, as well as two special songs for Grandpa.

And I just have to mention that Rowan and Bria spent the day with their friends Camry and Averi. Thanks so much Amy, for offering to take the kids for the day. It was a HUGE blessing for us. The kids had a great time :)

The rest of the weekend was spent as a family, visiting, eating (can you say funeral leftovers...) and trying not to miss Grandma every second. Poor Grandpa. He sure is having a hard time. He doesn't know what to do anymore. He just seems lost without Grandma. I know it will get better with time, but right now it's just so hard to see him wandering around.

And, in closing, here's my two favorite little people, just being their silly little selves :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

"I think she's a donkey!". Hahaha too funny=) "Pepa-owni". Those are two of my favorite little people too. Had fun spending lots of time with you all this last weekend!

ONTARIO THIESSENS said...

Cute video! -- your kids are so funny. All the best with the potty training ... it certainly was not my favorite stage of life, but you get through it and in a blink of an eye those days are long gone. Sorry for the loss of your Grandma Friesen.
~Aunt Brenda

Michelle said...

I'm glad it went well.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a tip on telling others on the pregnancy. I really liked it.

Dayna said...

love the video! what a great way to open a window into your lives!

Kenzie said...

ha ha! Love the donkey comment!!! :)