Friday, May 22, 2009

My top 5 natural beauty secrets

So, they're not really secrets, but I sure wish I would have known about them sooner! Really. With the hundreds of skin care products out there, they pretty much make you feel like you HAVE to buy something. And if that doesn't work, surely there's a miracle in a bottle just next to it on the shelf. Um... not.

It's no secret that I try to eliminate harmful chemicals in my house. I try to find natural alternatives for just about everything. If you read Glimpse, you will have an idea of some products I have tried and liked. Some things though, are not available for 'review' per se, and I'm going to share my list with you.

1. Oil Cleansing Method
This is something I learned about just a month or two ago, and it has been great so far! I don't do it too often, but at least once or twice per week. The rest of the time, I just wash my face with water. Here is the basic idea of what the oil cleanse method is.

~First, I massage organic extra virgin olive oil into my face. About 1/2 tsp or so. Massage for at least a minute or two, longer is better. (If you have oily skin, you need a bit of castor oil added to the olive oil.)
~Second, I take a nice hot cloth and put it over my face, letting it steam my face until it has cooled.
~Repeat the second step a couple times.
~Gently wipe the oil off, not rubbing hard at all. Gentle is the key.
~If you have naturally oily skin, you probably won't need any moisturizer. If you have dry skin like me, then you might need a light moisturizer.
2. Facial Oil Moisturizer
I've been using an oil on my face as a moisturizer for quite a while now, but I just recently found one that works even better for my skin. I got it from here. Depending on your skin type, you can find various facial oils. If you get breakouts a lot, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bottle, or lavender oil. Both work really well.




3. Handmade Soaps
Right now I am using an eczema soap from Rocky Mountain Soap Company. It is very gentle and I even use it for shaving my legs. No razor burn :) I've used a lot of handmade soaps, and love them all! The more simple, the better though. I love The Lote Tree. They are my first love when it comes to soaps. And of course, Heritage Bath Essentials is local to me, so it's very handy!



4. Natural Shampoo & Conditioner
My hair just feels amazingly better when I use this shampoo and conditioner. I first got to try it for a review on Glimpse, and fell in love! It smells so good, yet not overpowering, and it leaves my hair super clean and soft. LOVE IT! You can buy it locally from Pure Anada. Which brings me to number 5...




5. Mineral Makeup
I have been using mineral makeup from Pure Anada for a year or two now, and I think it's awesome! It allows your skin to breathe, it still covers all those imperfections, and it lasts forever! You can go to bed at night without washing your makeup off, and not have to worry about it. It won't make you break out, in fact in most cases, it improves your skin because of the natural minerals. The colors are great, blend well, and a little goes a long way. And Candace is really the sweetest person ever.

What are your favorite natural beauty secrets?

6 comments:

DavenHeather said...

great post! my favorite natural secret is Norwex. I love having a chemical free house.. especially for my face!!

littlelamb said...

You say you can buy pure anada and green beveaver locally. where would that be?

Shanilie said...

I love the ideas. I definitely need to check out pure anda. I am always trying various conditioners. I used to go through bottle after bottle of fair quality kinds when my hair was long.

sheila said...

One of my "natural beauty" secrets is I use dry cornmeal as an exfoliant on my face. Works wonders.
My 80 year old grandmother has done this for years and she seriously has beautiful skin, and very few wrinkles.

Stacey said...

Sheila,
That's cool! I never thought to try that. I've used ground oatmeal, and I've heard of using ground almonds. The cornmeal eliminates the step of grinding. I'm going to have to try that.

sheila said...

I do this 1-2 times per week and my skin feels so "deep cleaned" after that. It really does a fab job of getting rid of all those dead skin cells. Very refreshing!