Friday, July 03, 2009

What would you do?

This is slightly embarrassing, but only because I took the picture before I made the bed :) This is our bedroom:

Boring, ugly, no style, nothing about it that I like. Minty green walls and ancient linoleum. Keith and I have talked about decorating our bedroom for years already, and still haven't done anything! Part of the reason is that we need bedroom furniture, and that can be a bit pricey :) But otherwise, we don't have much of an excuse for not painting and putting in new flooring.

So what would you suggest? The room is not very big, so I'd love to have as little furniture as possible. What colors? What type of flooring? We've talked about doing a darker laminate, but then I have no idea what color to paint.

Anyway, I'd love to get it done one of these days!

5 comments:

Carole Hiebert said...

Why is it we always leave our bedrooms as the last thing on our 'project list'?! My suggestion is to make a headboard....I've made 3 different headboards, and it's really quite do-able! I know you could do it! Plywood, some foam and batting and fabric, tufted if you like, or a nice curve on the top. It's a nice focal point in the room! Then maybe some simple panels of fabric on the windows, using clips on rods is super easy! Have fun! Can't wait to see the 'after'! As far as paint colors...first find the fabric, bedding, etc. that you love, then pick a color from there!

Mom said...

If I could...I'd do cork in the bedroom....I absolutely LOVE it in our bathroom!
Simple is definitely better I say. :)
Have fun planning!

Lifelines said...

I have a very small bedroom, too! I don't know if you're looking to replace your furniture, but when we got rid of our low, wide dresser, there was so much more space. We replaced my dresser with an armoire, which is narrower and higher, and I love it (it holds an awful lot of clothing, too). We are going to replace our carpet with laminate or engineered hardwood. I've been told by a number of people not too choose a dark wood, because you will see ALL the dirt and dust.
Enjoy your changes!

Warren said...

if it already feels small, don't go dark, pick something nice and bright.

Larissa Joy said...

A cute coloured bed skirt can easily pretty up the mattress if you can't find a bed right away, and cute curtains are so simple!
Carole's headboard idea is an easy one too. Or you can use other things, like a photo collage or even just painted empty frames, without the backs.

Better Homes and Gardens magazines always have really cute and simple ideas to spice up a boring room.