Saturday, February 20, 2010

Meet Emery Shae!

First of all, I think Liane had the most details right as far as guessing. She had the date and length right on!

But... Emery Shae is all girl :) I have to admit, I was more than a little surprised myself, as the last few weeks I really felt she was a boy. Oh well! She's just perfect :)

Emery Shae arrived at 6:40 am, Friday, February 19th! She was 8 lbs 10 oz, and 20 1/2 inches long. And.... she does NOT have red hair! So while she looks more like Keith and I in that way, she will be left out of the club with Rowan and Bria.

I'll post the birth story after the pictures, so those of you who do not want to read the details, you can just skip that part.

Taken this morning before leaving the hospital.

Proud big brother

Fascinated big sister!

I think she looks a little big to be in there...

And the little princess herself :) It's hard to get good newborn pictures!

I woke up around 2:30 Friday morning, not sure if I just really had to go to the bathroom, or if I was having a contraction. After going to the bathroom though, I continued to have contractions, and they were anywhere from about 3-5 minutes apart. Around 4 am, I decided to get myself ready to go and wake Keith. From that point, things were getting much more intense, and I called my midwife, and my parents. We needed someone to come stay with the kids when we left.

So, around 4:30 we arrived at the hospital, at which point Keith and I quickly decided how we wanted to spell Shae! Kind of last minute, but hey, it worked! We slowly walked toward the hospital from the parking lot, while I leaned on the pillars during contractions. They were around every 2 minutes at this point. Checking in was smooth, as J (the midwife) had called ahead. We were taken right into our room.

I had the monitors strapped on for around the first 20 minutes or so, and everything looked good, so they took them off. Unfortunately, since my contractions were so close together, I didn't feel like I could get out of the bed. I didn't have time in between to move! This was really disappointing to me, since I had hoped to stay out of the bed. But, in the bed I was.

I guess I was pretty quiet, until I had a couple really long, really hard contractions, and J said now she thought maybe something was happening :) I begged for the gas, but J said she needed to know how far along I was first. At that point, I had the WORST contraction ever, and cried for the gas. After that J checked how far I was... 10 cm! No kidding. No time for gas.

It was really a relief to hear that I was 'ready' to try pushing though, and I let myself relax just a bit. In fact, I was so tired, I really didn't feel like pushing at all. So I just let my body ride through the contractions for about 30 minutes til I was ready to push. I took about 10 minutes or so, and then little Emery Shae was handed over to me :) Definitely a feeling of relief to be finished, and surprise to see a girl! I even got to cut the cord, which was really special for me. Emery started nursing almost right away too, and we got to snuggle for a while before they did her newborn check.

Of course, she slept away most of the day yesterday, and kept me up most of the night, so it's going to take some time to get things sorted out. But we're all doing well and can't wait to figure out this new way of life!

30 comments:

Wenona said...

WOW!! LOVE the name and what a fast labor and delivery!! I am so glad to hear that things went well for you and everything is working out great so far. Thinking of you as these first days are a big transition and bonding time. All the best!

Shanilie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I thought for sure it would be a few more days. She is absolutely gorgeous and such a beautiful name. So glad mama and baby are doing well.

Stam House said...

Wow it's a girl I was sure it was a boy!!! Soooo happy for you! Oh i wish i lived closer to you so I could meet this precious little one in person!

Give her a big kiss from me K

And wow you hare made to make babies!!! what a fast labor!!!!

Congrats again!

Steph and Mitch T said...

Yayyyy! Congratulations! So very sweet. :) What an amazing labor--you did great! I'm so glad everything went well and I hope you are able to get lots of rest.

S Club Mama said...

awwww, a little darling! I am so happy things went so smoothly for you! Emery Shae is a beautiful name; I love it.

I've been waiting for this news! So happy everything is well. Get some rest, mama.

Ellen said...

YAY!! Congrats!! You are so lucky with the fact that you don't have to wait until your due date! My babies always made me wait, every day after my due date felt like a month!! What a beautiful baby girl and I love the name as well (Shae has always been a name on my list of baby names!)

Laura said...

congrats! She's a healthy, sweet looking little girl. Hope all the adjustments go smoothly! :) Such joy to have a new little life in your family.

Lindsey Dueck said...

Congrats again! I LOVE the name! She is adorable!

annejisca said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you all! She's beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Oh, and your birth story is wonderful. Praise God for a safe delivery! :)

Jobina said...

I'm so thrilled for you Stacey! Way back when we went shopping for maternity clothes you told me that you thought you were having a girl, you were right! I have to admit that I'm jealous though... I can't wait to see who's in here. LOVE her name!

Drea said...

awe... you look so cute in that 1st pic!! and Emery is just beautiful. What a big lil girl 2! Im excited to see more and more pictures.

The Pauls' Family said...

Congratulations! So happy for all of you! What a sweet little blessing Emery is.

Niki said...

Congratulations! I love her name! She is beautiful...glad she arrived safely!

emily said...

What an amazingly beautiful birth story. Congratulations! May the Lord give you rest and wisdom to adjust well to little Emery! Love the name!

lulu said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy for the 5 of you. I can't wait to meet her. I will call you next time I am in Winkler.

Enjoy your new life.

Jenn

Andrea said...

How exciting!!! I was SURE I was going to miss the announcement since we're leaving tomorrow for a week, but you were too quick! haha. :) Congratulations anyways...and I LOVE her name too! You're all looking great, and Emery is cute as can be! I'm so glad you had a quick and fairly easy labor! Congrats again Stacey!!!

3 for Me! said...

Yes, sounds like you BOTH were ready for the birth:) Transition in labor is super hard.... so it's not surprising that you stayed in one spot and wanted gas. But it sounds like you did a SUPER job!!

And she is a cutie!! I love her baby cheeks and the BIG siblings:)

Rest and thanks for sharing the pics:)

Michelle @ Flying Giggles said...

Congratulations, what a beautiful name for an adorable baby! She looks like my little Chloe when she was born.

Heather said...

Beautiful name! So happy for you and your fast and speedy delivery.. can you rub that off on me :)
So happy for you!!

Dayna said...

Congratulations stacey and keith! I'm so happy to hear your news! And I really like her name a lot! Great choices... Many blessings and lots of wisdom and patience as you start life with 3 kids!

~Kristina said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful name for such a precious addition to your family.

laurel said...

Congratulations Stacey!

Andrea said...

Congratulations!! Precious pictures.

Susanna said...

Stacey - congrats on a beautiful girl and a wonderfully smooth and fast delivery! I like the name Emery too :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's beautiful!

Marilyn

Amber said...

CONGRATS Stacey!!!! Praise God for a healthy new baby daughter :) All the best!

Jamy said...

So happy to hear you had your baby. Congrats to you. Hope you are both doing well.

eva said...

Congrats Stacey!! I heard the news in church. :)

Missy said...

Congrats Stacey !!

Willow said...

Congratulations mama! She is beautiful!
What a great birth story too!