Monday, April 19, 2010

Cloth Diapering a Newborn

I used/still use cloth diapers for Bria when she was a baby, but I only really started when she was around 2 or 3 months old.  With Emery I was determined to start a lot earlier.  I wanted to experience what cloth diapering a newborn is all about.  I bought a bunch of things to try out with Emery, and I wanted to share with you my thoughts and opinions on the different things I tried, what works and what I didn't care for.

I started putting Emery in cloth diapers at about 2 weeks old.  I waited until her umbilical cord fell off.  I didn't really want to mess with it.  I know it's very possible to cloth diaper right from day one, but I'm glad I waited anyway.  At this point, she's in cloth diapers almost full time.  I still use disposables when we go out, but I might have to stop doing that, as Emery gets a rash super fast from the disposables!  Seriously, it doesn't even take half a day.  And when I put her back in cloth, it takes about a day to clear up.

Preemie Prefolds
I bought 2 dozen organic cotton preemie prefolds from Bummis, just in case I had a tiny baby.  I used a few of them on Emery, and they actually were really nice.  If Emery would have been smaller, I would have used them a lot more, but she was almost 9 pounds at birth, so it seemed kind of pointless when I had other diapers that were more suited to her.  Bummis prefolds are incredibly nice, super soft, and you can't beat organic cotton for a diapering material!  I happen to be a Bummis retailer, so I was glad to have a chance to try out their prefolds.

Kissaluvs Size 0
I actually bought these second hand back when I was pregnant with the baby that I miscarried.  So I was really excited to actually get to use them :)  Honestly, I was a bit disappointed.  They are super cute, and they fit tiny babies, but they aren't very absorbent, and they fit for such a short time on Emery.  The fabric also does not really stay that soft.  I only used these a couple of times before I stopped reaching for them.




XS Thirsties Fab Fitted
This was definitely a favorite!  I only had one that I bought to try out, and if Emery was smaller, I would have wanted more.  These would fit a very small baby well.  They are really soft, and stay that way too.  The only real downside I found was that they have velcro closures.  I'm a snap girl :)





Small Thirsties AIO
These diapers are discontinued, and I managed to snag 4 of them off of Baby Half Off.  They are still actually pretty big on Emery, at 11 pounds, and we get a lot of leaking out the legs.  As soon as I get the diapers that I have on the way to me, I'm planning on selling these.  I imagine that if they fit a bit better they wouldn't leak as much, but they just aren't my favorite.




Small Rainshine Designs AI2
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!  If I could afford to have a whole stash of these diapers, I would.  They are made to perfection by a WAHM in British Columbia, and they are my ultimate favorite diaper.  I have a One Size AI2 from Rainshine Designs as well, and it's my favorite diaper for Bria (naptime) right now.  These diapers would not fit a tiny newborn very well, but they fit Emery at around 10 pounds really well.  She still has room to grow, but the diaper is so adjustable that we don't get any leaks.


XS Bamboo Sandy's
I have one dozen XS Sandy's, and they are my go-to diaper.  They are super soft, absorbent, and they have snaps.  What's not to love!  I sell Mother-ease products, so I was excited to give these a try so I can give a real personal review of them to my customers.  I have not been disappointed at all.  They have performed excellently, and I only wish I had more than one dozen!  They would easily fit a smaller baby, and I would say they fit until around 12 pounds or so, depending on the build of the baby.  Emery still fits in them, though we will be passing them along soon!


Sweet Pea One Size Pocket Diaper
I will be posting a review on this diaper in the next couple weeks, so make sure to check out Glimpse for my full review.  For now though, I really do like this diaper.  It's not my favorite, but it's a great affordable one size pocket diaper.  It would not fit a tiny baby well at all, and it's only really starting to fit Emery now at 11 pounds, so it's not a newborn diaper.  I love that it comes with two inserts, one smaller one for the smallest snap setting, and a larger one for when you need to size up.



Thirsties Duo Wrap Size One
This cover worked pretty well, but I just wasn't all that excited about the velcro.  I also am not a fan of snapping down the rise for different settings.  But overall, I thought this was a really nice cover.  It would fit a really tiny baby too, since it snaps down so small.  I think these covers are available with snap closures now as well, which I think I would like better.

XS Mother-ease Air Flow Cover
This is the ultimate diaper cover!  It fits so perfectly over any diaper, and never ever leaks.  Never.  Ever.  :)  I have already ordered my next set of diapers and covers from Mother-ease, and I won't be needing any other covers.  This is it for me!  No need to look further.






So, that's everything that I have tried to date (that I can think of).  From here, once I put all the little diapers away, I'll be using Mother-ease One Size diapers almost exclusively.  I have a few others that I will hold on to, like the Sweet Pea diaper, and a couple other one size diapers I have from Bria.  Otherwise, I've found what I like, and I'm sticking to it!  I can't wait to get my rainbow of diapers though!  I ordered 2 full rainbows of MEOS, as well as some bamboo MEOS.  Should be fun!

Here's a few pictures of Emery in some of her cloth diapers, at different stages.
 This is Emery in a Kissaluvs Size 0 at less than one week old.  Just trying it out!

Here it is with the Size One Thirsties Duo Wrap cover.

Here she is at around 2 weeks in the Rainshine Designs AI2.  I put it on a little loose here.

This is Emery at about 2.5 weeks, in a Thirsties Duo Diaper
I forgot to write about this one...

Also around 2.5 weeks in a XS Sandy's with the Air Flow cover over top.

This was taken this morning.  XS Sandy's.

4 comments:

Micki said...

I love newborns, but seeing newborns with their bulky little cloth bums just makes me swoon! There's just something about it :)

I'm glad to see you're finding things that work for you and Emery. I know a lot of people just don't get it, but I think cloth diapering is awesome! Especially on newborns!

Steph T said...

I have been so swamped...but I would love to send you a diaper to review. Not because I need a review, but because I love reading your blog and Emery is so cute. Email me! :)

Stam House said...

Thanks so much for this post! I want to started very really with baby #3 all our kids so far all of our little goose have very sensitive skin (like mine) and are reacting severely do disposable. (I also suspect a allergy to some component of the disposable!!!!)

So this was great for me to read, I love Sandy's diapers but I just have one for Sarah I just try to get some XS Cause we so far always have smallish baby!!! How much more expensive are they compare to bunnis prefolded????

Christa said...

I use Bummis prefolds now on my little man, he's almost three months old and I love them, they work great for us. I also love rumparooz!