Thursday, May 06, 2010

International Day of the Midwife

Yesterday we celebrated International Day of the Midwife.  The kids and I had an indoor picnic lunch with the local midwives, which was neat.  The best part was this adorable cake made by Amanda.  Her cakes are incredible, not to mention yummy!


I have to be honest and say I was really disappointed that my midwife wasn't there.  I was hoping to get a picture of her and Emery together, but she was off at a breastfeeding conference.  It seemed also that everyone else knew other people there, and I felt kind of out of place.  Oh well.  I know the kids had fun!

I'm just so thankful to have had the experience of a having a midwife.  Even Keith would agree that it was better than he thought it would be :)  I wish every woman could have that experience.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks!

I kinda felt the same way too. I had Marla and Joelle for my pregnancy, but then had Lara for my c-section. I kinda felt a little out of place, like I had no one to bond with. Oh well. I loved having a midwife though.

Stam House said...

that is great, and look at that cake!!!!

annejisca said...

We had a baby shower for a friend this week and she had a cake almost the same! Cute, except she didn't want to cut it (c-section!!!), hehe.

Wenona said...

I felt that way last year too, and was hoping to make it this year, but we didn't.
Midwives are fabulous people and my husband never really understood the importance of them until after Koen was born. Then he looked at my midwife and said "I don't think we could've done this without you!" I'm sure we could have, but it wouldn't have been as great.

Eva said...

I have had a doctor for two babies and a midwife for two babies. I love midwives! It is a wonderful experience and I agree... all women should have a chance to experience it!

Tara said...

I would have loved coming to this event, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

I had a midwife as well, and even though I ended up having a c-section... having her support throughout the entire process was invaluable!

Dianna said...

I wish I had known about this event. I just found out thru Amanda's blog that there was one. I would've def. attended as I had midwives al l3 of my children know Marla, Karen and Lara well. Wod've been nice to meet you and Amanda the cake lady/

parker servo drive said...

the blog header is too sweet. This is worth stumbling on, worth reading and digesting.