Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Vision of One Million Arrows

I have to admit, when I first heard the title of this book, I thought it had something to do with being Quiverfull, and since we don't practice this, I didn't think it was a book for me :)  However, that is not the gist of this book at all, and I believe that every Christian parent out there needs to read One Million Arrows!

So what is it about?  One Million Arrows challenges us as parents to raise our children to be arrows in the hands of God, sharpened to be used by God in mighty ways.  The vision that started with 'Papa' in India, is being spread to every parent that chooses to read this book.  Papa's dream is to raise up one million orphaned children to preach the gospel to their own people.  We can be a part of the vision by training our own children to be willing to serve God wherever He may lead them.

Julie Ferwerda gives great advice, and stories of those who have succeeded in the mission with their own children.  How many of you know of Joshua Harris (I Kissed Dating Goodbye) and his younger brothers (http://therebelution.com)?  Here's a family that has done all they can to raise their children as God's arrows.  You can read more about their family in One Million Arrows.

I loved the fact that Julie gives some real practical advice in the book, sharing how it isn't the church's job, or the youth group's job to teach our children.  That we as parents need to take the responsibility to teach our own children to love and honor God.  This is definitely a challenge to me, and I pray that I will take it on and do what I need to do to teach my children.

This quote is a real challenge to me. "But we can hardly sit back and think that our kids are the only ones singled our for such grand plans.  How will they know unless we teach them from our own habits and experiences?  How will they catch it unless we model it for them consistently?"

I have actually started reading this book through a second time, as there is so much to be learned/gained from it, that I need to take it all in again.  As I read, I am convinced, more than ever, that this is what I need to be doing with my children.

And a final quote, that may seem simple, that is really on my mind, is this: "Instead of raising channel changers, I most definitely want to raise world changers."

One Million Arrows can be purchased here, from Amazon, as well as these other online retailers.  All proceeds of this book will go to orphan ministries around the world.  Are you willing to catch the vision?

Julie Ferwerda is recognized for making the Bible exciting and relevant to everyday life through her writing and speaking. Her articles are featured in many Christian magazines and websites for both adults and teens, and she frequently volunteers her time and talents to international orphan ministry. Learn more at OneMillionArrows.com. 

3 comments:

Steph T said...

Ohhh...that sounds like a great book! We actually do practice a "quiverfull" conviction...but you are right, this book sounds like something that ALL Christian parents are called to. Especially us. :) What good is a whole dang quiver full of arrows if we're not shooting them off in the right direction, eh?? :) Thanks for the review!

Lindsey Dueck said...

That sounds like a great book! I would like to read it now, before I have kids! I am desperate to raise children that will be the hands and feet of God! That is all I will ask of them. I don't care what job they have, where they live, as long as they love Jesus and live for Him!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a book I should read.
Irina