Saturday, May 15, 2010

Watermelon & Rollkuchen

This evening we went to my parents house for some Watermelon and Rollkuchen.  I happened to be chatting with Drea before we left, and mentioned the Rollkuchen.  Since she has no idea what this stuff is, I thought I would document our experience :)  Sit back and enjoy!

Start with a time tested recipe (Mennonite Treasury)
Make sure you have a well floured surface :)
Don't forget the watermelon!
 Cut the dough into funky rectangles
 Turn the dough and pop in the hot oil.  Turn when the first side is golden.
Oh yum...
Watch the little people enjoying the goodness!  Best eaten outside, for obvious reasons, as demonstrated by Selah.
...and Rowan!
OK, so they all had fun :)  Here's Bria, Selah, Rowan, and Jillian!  "CHEESE"
Awe, sweet daddy & baby
Wait, did you see that watermelon dress?  Emery wanted in on the action too!
Don't worry, no babies were fed watermelon in this picture :)

So, that's about it.  You've gotta try it to know!  All my fellow Mennos know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

18 comments:

Carole Hiebert said...

We sure do!!! I am eagerly awaiting my first rollkuchen and watermelon meal! After reading this, we'll be having one sooner than later....I'm craving it now!!

Jobina said...

Yum, yum , yum! And what a beautiful day for it too!

Niki said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been craving watermelon and rollkuchen for the past few months...

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what we had for supper yersterday. :)

Irina

Steph T said...

Ohhh that looks yummy! I'm going to have to ask Patrick if he's ever had anything like that. :) Thanks for sharing!

Alyssa said...

Beautiful pictures!!

S Club Mama said...

sounds yummy - Emery is getting so big!

Andrea said...

Yep...it's the ultimate summer meal...also just wondering...on a totally different topic - have you heard any news recently?? I know that is beyond vague! haha...I'm just not sure how far the "news" has gone yet...

ONTARIO THIESSENS said...

Oh ya, we know what you're talking about! ... looks so yummy...a real treat indeed! I never make rollkuchen though (or anything like that) because Rachelle can't eat them unless the recipe is improvised without milk products or eggs. It's a lot of work.

Brenda

Shanilie said...

YUM I had this one time ever when I met Ryan and loved it. Can't believe i haven't had it since. Thanks for the recipe. Looks yummy!

Stam House said...

sounds yummy! I'll try it as soon as it's warm enough to go eat out!!! Still cold over here in the Maritime!!!!

Cheryl said...

Oh YUM! :)

Micki said...

Ohhhhhh, I must have some!!! I can't wait until watermelon season too. Cold watermelon . . . drooool

eva said...

Ah yes...I certainly do know! I do believe that will be supper tonight. :)

Kalle said...

My grandma has a little different fritters recipe and I've never tried them with watermelon...definitely will have to do that this summer.

Looks like a great time.

RLE said...

Mmm, yummy! My mouth is watering as we speak. Too bad it is insanely COLD in Calgary or I might try some too. Cannot wait until I can make some again.

Anonymous said...

That recipe wasn't very good....

Stacey said...

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Anonymous. Do you have a better recipe? I'm not a fan of thick, doughy Rollkuchen, that many people make. This recipe is just right for me :)