Monday, August 30, 2010

Cooler weather... makes me want to bake :)

Lately I've been baking a lot.  I've been trying to bake bread at least once each week, often twice, and of course, the occasional cookies, muffins, and cakes too.  I thought I'd share my favorite recipes as I make them, just in case you are all wondering what they are like :)

Today it was super dark and rainy all morning, so I knew it was a good baking day!  I figured it was time to make some more bread, before we run out.  The recipe I made it taken from the back of a bag of Roger's 9 Grain Cereal.  It's a great, easy, quick recipe, and here it is, with a few of my own modifications.  I've pared it down to make just two loaves, as that is what works best for my trusty old Kitchen Aid machine.  Any more dough and it starts being weird.  I don't like cleaning dough out of the top of the machine, lol.

9 Grain Bread

2 cups very warm water
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
1 cup Rogers 9 Grain Cereal
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp quick rise yeast
Enough flour to make a nice dough (In a kitchen aid, you add flour until it just barely cleans the sides of the bowl.)

Put the water, oil, brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, 9 grain, and 2 cups flour in the Kitchen Aid bowl.  Mix a bit, then add the yeast.  Keep mixing on speed 2, adding flour as needed.  Let it knead for 10 minutes or so.  Pull the dough out of the mixer, knead a couple times, then put on a greased countertop, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes or so.  Form loaves, place in greased bread pans.  Let rise until about 1-2 inches above the top of the pan.  Bake at 375 until it's golden on top.

4 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds really good! I'll have to try it. :)

Heather Derksen (Cheryl's younger sister)

Mom said...

Funny....I was just about to start a batch too!

Jamy said...

Hmm, i may have to record these recipes for when I finally buy my dough machine.
I haven't baked in so long. I really need to get back into it.

What a perfect thing for a rainy day.

Heather said...

I decided to make some bread/buns this evening using dad's recipe. I think I'm gonna try some pluckets too:)