Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another little kitchen experiment

While I wait for my Nutrimill, which I *think* is waiting for me at the bus depot (YAY!!), I thought I'd share another recent kitchen experiment that I've been working on.

How many of you have heard of Kefir?  I didn't know anything about it until I started reading about it on some of my favorite blogs.  Tammy has once again inspired me to try something new.  So far, I'm on the fence on whether I really like it or not.

Kefir is a probiotic drink made with milk and kefir grains.  You need about 1 Tbsp of kefir grains to start, and you're set for life!  You just put the grains in a glass jar with milk, let it sit out for a day (or two, depending on how you like it, and the temperature of your house), strain out the grains, refrigerate the kefir, and start another round with the grains and fresh milk.

I got my grains from an Etsy shop here.  They came to me within about 2 1/2 weeks, which is pretty average for a package coming from the US.  When I got them, I put them in the fridge for a few days, because I was a little intimidated at first.  Not really sure why, cause it's actually really easy to make kefir.  Anyway, once I finally did it, I followed the great instructions that were sent by email from the shop I purchased the grains from.

As for the taste, I wasn't brave enough to try drinking it straight.  I have heard that it's a lot like plain yogurt, which I think is gross :)  So, I poured it in the blender with a banana, some frozen blueberries, and a splash of vanilla.  It wasn't too bad that way.  As long as I don't think about it too much (I have a thing about 'sour' dairy), I think I can consume the stuff.  I was reading that it can also take a few batches to 'recover' from traveling, and also needs to adjust to being in a different type of milk, so I think it might change in the next week or so.

I know you can also use it in baking in place of buttermilk, etc, so I plan on using it to make pancakes and waffles.  I'm not sure if you have heard of soaking grains, but kefir is also great for that.  I haven't experimented with that too much yet, but I might.  I always need something new to try!

Here are some links to Tammy's posts about kefir:

All About Kefir
Instructions for Making Kefir
Maple Sweetened Kefir
Fluffy Kefir Pancakes

Photobucket

4 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

I was always interested in trying it but right now With Rachel and dairy allergies I have to wait until she wean!

But I might try water kefir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZw77qz_hMM

Liane said...

Kefir is big in Germany, but I must say I was never a big fan of it, but my parents love it. I might need to get the link from the site you ordered it.

Carole Hiebert said...

Yes - and if you're interested, Conrad and Val Zacharias (they go to our church) are producers for Organic Meadow. They sell organic milks and lots of flavors of Kefir. I can get their contact info if you want!

Dianna said...

I luv Kefir and am a believer in it;s health benifits. I always try to have on hand. U cod put it in lots of foods that u make.