Saturday, November 20, 2010

Round 1: Bread from Fresh Milled Wheat

Last night Keith brought me some samples of grain from work, so I could give the Nutrimill a try.  What a sweet guy :)  He brought me all kinds of stuff, but I decided to try what I have read is the best for bread, which is Hard Red Spring Wheat.  This is also what is grown most here in Canada, so it's what I know will be easily available to me.  Keith says that it accounts for most of the wheat grown here.  I will have a much harder time finding soft wheat for things like cakes and pastry (which I don't bake nearly as often anyway).

Anyway, I put about 3 1/2 cups of wheat in the mill, and that made just enough flour for two loaves of bread (about 5 1/2 - 6 cups).  I used just over 2 cups of water, if that helps you figure it out better.  I'm wondering if I could have used a bit more flour though, because my loaves sank a bit when they started baking.  Here is my approximate recipe:

2 1/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp gluten
approx 5 1/2 - 6 cups fresh milled flour


I always use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix bread, and it can only handle enough flour for 2 loaves of bread, so that's what I stick with.

My thoughts on the loaves of fresh bread...

I obviously need to practice baking with whole grains, because the texture was not that great.  It's really soft, but it just falls apart really easily.  Not sure exactly what I need.  Maybe more flour?  More kneading?  I let it knead for about 12 minutes in the Kitchen Aid.  Any bread experts feel free to chime in.

The taste is also totally different than what I'm used to!  I didn't really think it would be that different.  It tastes so fresh, and slightly sweet, instead of the sort of bitter taste you usually expect from whole wheat.  I can definitely get used to that taste!



So I need to spend some more time practicing making bread, which should be fun!  I'll let you know how future attempts turn out too, and if I come across the perfect recipe, I'll share that as well.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

that it nice about the taste!!!!SO you like your new machine :-)

Mom said...

Stacey...I remember when I baked bread from freshly ground wheat. Anyway, I would put in some soy lecithin (bought @ the health food store) and crushed vitamin C. Yea...sounds funny, but it worked wonderfully. Learned that from Lydia H. Do you remember that bread? Mmmmm.

The Pauls' Family said...

Looks yummy. I definitely agree, whole wheat bread is way tastier! The recipe on our cooking blog is the one that we always use. It's done well for us! Have fun experimenting :)

sheila said...

Looks good! I wonder though if 12 minutes of mixing is a bit long? I'm not a bread baking expert, but I know with my Bosch that would be way too long to mix the dough.

Stacey said...

Sheila,

I'm not sure. The Kitchen Aid does not knead the dough nearly as efficiently as a Bosch. I could try a shorter time and see what happens, but I have noticed, with regular flour, that the longer the better. I soooo badly want a Bosch, but I'm happy to at least have a Kitchen Aid! I used to make bread totally by hand before I got it, and that was definitely more work.

Travis, Rosey and Zipporah said...

knead your yeast for a while with just a portion of the flour to help the gluten develop(when it's more like a batter), then add the rest of your flour and knead it again.

Rebekah said...

Sometimes bread drops a bit when it goes into the oven if it has risen a touch too long. Looks like you are well on your way to fabulous bread!

Sheila said...

Hey there. The other day you posted something about Kefir and that you ordered it through ETSY. We are now selling Organic Milk and Kefir at the Potato Store here in town if you are interested. I just got the email about this yesterday and I thought of you right away. Might be worth your while to check it out.

Stacey said...

Sheila,

I actually ordered the Kefir grains, so I can continue making Kefir for forever, as long as I take care of them properly. I am interested in the milk though! Do I need to pre order it at all?

Sheila said...

I don't think you need to preorder it, as it should already be there. We're trying to sell as much organic as possible as we're noticing that there is a huge growing trend of people out there that really want to live more "green and organic!" We also strongly encourage people to eat our locally produced foods, that are more and more so being grown organically.

themilans said...

first off, beautiful bread! I can't ever get mine to look that good. It tastes good, but look crazy!

Stacey said...

Hi Leah! The bread was yummy, just kinda flat, lol. I'm waiting for my hubby to get me some more wheat before I can experiment some more.