Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Waffles... mmmmm mmmmm GOOD!

Bria's waffle with applesauce
A favorite in this house with the littles is anything to do with waffles or pancakes.  My kids would ask for them everyday, though I try to only make them a couple times a week at most.  And when I do make them, I make them as healthy as I can while still keeping them super yummy!  So my waffles (and pancakes) are mostly oatmeal, no sugar, and we put homemade pudding or applesauce on them. And occasionally I even make some pretty awesome syrup!  I didn't have that on hand today, but I'll add the recipe to the post anyway, since it's incredible.  Like I could eat spoons full of the stuff :)  And it's totally unhealthy, but I like to think that it's better than using syrup from the store that's full of weird ingredients and preservatives.


Oatmeal Waffles

3 cups Quick Oats
3/4 cup Flour (White or Whole Wheat, doesn't really matter)
3 cups Milk (I like to do half Buttermilk)

Mix this altogether and let it sit for at least 10 minutes.  The longer the better!  Then add the following ingredients.

2 eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 cup Melted Butter (so much better than oil, but you can substitute oil if you really want to)

I like to get this all mixed before I plug in my waffle maker.  That way the baking powder and eggs have time to do a little magic!  Cook in a hot waffle maker or iron.  Makes plenty of waffles for our family.  We don't need them all, but today we ate them all :)


Applesauce for Waffles

3 McIntosh Apples
3 Granny Smith Apples

Peel, core, and chop them up and throw them in a pot with:

1/4-1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Water (more if it gets too thick for your taste)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 cup Brown Sugar

Heat til it boils, then turn down to simmer until the apples are as soft as you want them.  The McIntosh apples get really soft and turn to applesauce, while the Granny Smith apples stay in pieces.  This makes for a really nice texture.


Vanilla Pudding

1/3 cup White Sugar
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Egg
2 cups Milk (Whole Milk is best, but I usually just have 2% on hand)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Stir the sugar and cornstarch together in a small pot.  Make sure there are no lumps.  Whisk the egg together with the milk and pour into the pan.  Cook on medium heat, whisking almost constantly.  You don't want it lumpy or burnt, both of which can happen pretty quickly.  Once it starts to bubble, cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla.



Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Butter
1 tsp Baking Soda

Mix altogether in a pot over medium heat.  Once it starts to bubble, cook for 7 minutes.  Make sure you keep stirring to prevent burning!  And make sure you use a big enough pot, because the baking soda makes this stuff bubble up like crazy!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

waffles are a hit at our home too, now I will try those recipes and tell you if they like them, but I'm sure they will :-)

Anonymous said...

We (mostly my little boy) are huge waffle and pancake conoisseurs in this house and those recipes look amazing - will definitely try them! Or at least my husband will, he's the breakfast chef around here. Thanks for the syrup recipe, too, I was looking for one.... Aunt Jemima has too many wierd ingredients...
~Tinkermama

Lyss said...

Take it from me...that syrup recipe is life changing. Well, almost. It's that good!! :-)

~ Alyssa

Irina said...

sounds very yummy1

designHER Momma said...

Oatmeal pancakes, who would have thunk it! I'll have to give it a whirl!

Joelle said...

Thanks for sharing the waffle recipe - we tried it this morning for breakfast and it was a hit. My husband called it "baked oatmeal in waffle form" and proceeded to inhale. This is one that will be a staple in our house - I hope you don't mind if I share it!