Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yesterday I was reading though some of my favorite blogs, and I came across this post from Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking.  I really enjoy her blog and once again, she had a post that really touched my heart.  I seriously felt like I could have written the first part of her post.

One of my goals this year was to become a radically thankful woman. I know in my heart that thankfulness is key to true joy in this life. I know that I could truly experience the fullness of life when my heart chose to purposefully focus on the good. I know my life could bring honor and praise to my Creator, and attract a watching world around me, when I was thankful and did not take for granted the precious gift of this life. This is my quest.
And yet so often, I falter in depression. I stumble into focusing on my little daily troubles – the ever growing laundry pile, the messy toys thrown here and there, and the financial struggles of staying within our budget. I loss sight of the good…I loss sight of the beauty all around me.
I mean, it's obvious.  Just go a few posts back, and you get a glimpse into my life and how far my focus is from where it should be.  I don't want that to be my life story.  I want to be someone who can truly be thankful in every situation.

It's really quite amazing how many wonderful reminders God has brought into my life since my depressing post last week.  From my friend Renee's blog, to Lindsay's blog, to 19 Kids & Counting.  Seriously.  I was watching the special on Sunday night, and Anna Duggar said something that just really hit me.  She was sharing with some women in a prison about how she had miscarried a baby a couple months ago.  She said “One thing that really helped was thanking God, thanking him in the good times and thanking him when things don’t go the way we expected them to … If you thank God it really, really releases you and helps you to be able to go on with life.”

I think that choosing to be thankful is hard.  But I also think that it is what God  wants.  These verses say it well.

Colossians 3:15-17 (New International Version)

 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I am joining the One Thousand Gifts Multitude Monday blog roll.

Check it out, and maybe you'll feel like joining too :)
Photobucket

2 comments:

Mrs. Stam said...

Thanks for sharing this link I loved her post and I'm sure I'll be back to visit her blog again!

Her post reminded me of the hymn "there shall be showers of blessing" http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/There_Shall_Be_Showers_of_Blessing/ This is one of the song that our girls are learning along side of Jesus loves/s me and this is the day, may the Lord etc...

We are so bless and we often are too busy to even notice! WE have so much and we often don't realize it!!!

The more I read post like this the more I want to give, to live a simpler life, I pray that I could give more and trusting that God will provide only what we need and trying to figure out what are my "wants" and my real "needs" there is a difference between them.

Thank you for linking my blog here, you are a sweet friend. You know I love you!!!

My post tomorrow will be about the loss that we had, this week the one that we never met would have turn one, praying that this will be a blessing to others who have gone trough the same!

Have a sweet refreshing evening!

Renee

Ellen said...

It is so good to refocus on God's goodness and put things in perspective. Just don't try to bottle up those 'negative' feelings and ignore them. They need to be acknowledged and dealt with, finding the root. God never promised we wouldn't have the bad days, but He needs to be our guide through those days.(I know I forget that too a lot of times!) I'm glad you've found encouragement through other blogs; I read a post from one of them and it was really good.