Thursday, December 09, 2010

Holly Jolly Blog Hop!

The last few days have been full of puke and poop at the Friesen house, so I'd like to forget about it for a little while and post something more fun!  (Emery has the stomach flu, in case you're all wondering who I'm talking about.)


Windy Poplars

It's the Holly Jolly Blog Hop over at Windy Poplars, and I thought I'd join in.  You can check it out as well, and make sure to join in!  Today is day one, and the theme is holiday food.  The idea is to share a favorite holiday recipe, and I'd like to share my favorite Turkey Dressing recipe.  I'm not in to stuffing the bird, so we'll just call it dressing this time.  This recipe is incredibly rich and tasty.  Not dry, not soggy, just awesome.  It's my favorite part of Christmas dinner!

My recipe comes from The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes, which is a staple in most homes where I live.  If you want rich, comforting, fabulous, yet simple food, this is the best cookbook!  It also includes great tips for canning, cooking, etc.  The interesting part is that many recipes don't include a lot of directions.  It comes from an era where everyone just knew how to do things.

Without further adieu, here it is!

Delicious Turkey Dressing

1 1/2 cups margarine (I change this to butter.  I don't allow margarine in my house, lol)
1 cup onion
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 tsp accent (I have never used this.  I just substitute more poultry seasoning)
2 tsp poultry seasoning
3 qts bread cubes

Simmer all ingredients except bread cubes for 10 minutes.  Add to bread and stir.  I always throw it in a roaster and bake it, stirring often, til it's slightly crispy.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Sounds yummy Stacy! I'm like you, I don't care for stuffing IN the bird. Alongside will do just fine :-) That way it gets all crispy and delicious! Sorry to hear that you're dealing with a bug over there. Hope you're all well soon! Thanks for joining in our hop today! I'm glad you did!

Tami said...

Looks delicious! I didn't get to make the stuffing at Thanksgiving this year. Maybe I'll get to try this recipe for Christmas... Yum!

Mrs. Stam said...

yummy we use butter too :-) is she feeling any better????