Thursday, March 24, 2011

Taste the Rainbow

I so badly wanted to make these last week, for St. Patrick's Day, but Thursdays are enormously busy in our house!  With Women's Bible Study in the morning and youth in the evening, we spend most of our day at church.

I gathered inspiration from Drea, who planned on making a rainbow cake for Owen's first birthday.  She linked to this site, where I got some pretty good directions for cupcakes.  I really appreciated the chart for making the different colors.



My initial thought was to find a white cake recipe instead of using a cake mix.  Cake mix is handy in a jam, but it sure is far from healthy.  When I read things like aluminum carbonate in the ingredient list, it makes me question what exactly it is that we are putting in our bodies.


When I finally ended up making the cupcakes though, I was again pressed for time, so the cake mix it was.  How healthy can rainbow colored cupcakes be anyway?!  Just a treat :)  And I must say, they were a hit!  I brought them to a church potluck and they were one of two desserts that were totally cleaned out.

Photobucket

11 comments:

Kelly @ In Everything said...

so fun:)

I think I'm going to use a Texas muffin size pan for Nate's birthday:) I"ve been wanting to do the rainbow cake for years but my kids always get to pick what their birthday dessert is and no one was game!! So I'm glad I get to choose Nate's cake this year:)

Jennifer said...

I have wanted to make cupcakes like this for a long time!! Thank you for posting this-They look super yummy!!

Mrs. Stam said...

Good job they look so yummy!

The Pauls' Family said...

Those are REALLY cool!

Lindsey said...

Those are so awesome Stacey! I love that idea! I love how it is layered!

When I was younger one of my friend's mom would always make rainbow bread for her birthday parties and I thought i was the coolest thing!

Lindsey said...

*IT was the coolest thing. LOL

Carmelle said...

I've never seen this before! It looks very fun!

Kenzie Prudhomme said...

I made a rainbow cake for a couple of birthday parties last year and they were a hit! Everyone loved the amazing colours and I have to admit it was kind of fun :) Next time you should try it with wilton food colour gel. The colours are so vibrant and you barely need any to make them just pop! I bought mine at the Bulk Barn.

Jennifer said...

I made these cupcakes this afternoon w/ my daughter!! She was so excited! However mine didn't turn out as well as yours. I didn't spread out the colors as I put them in the liners so the colors ran a bit-I guess this really was an important step-haha! I also put too much batter into each liner-my cupcakes were overflowing!! opps!

Drea said...

yay it came out awesome!!

Steph T said...

Those look awesome!! Great job!