Saturday, May 14, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

See all those pretty jars in the top left section of my fridge?  That's all super yummy homemade yogurt!  I've been meaning to try making yogurt for a long time now, cause I know how much cheaper it is, and I figured it would probably taste better too.  It was totally worth the time and effort!

I used this recipe/method and will definitely use it again.  It was clear, easy, and gave great results.  I did the whole 4L (gallon) jug of Whole Milk (3.25%), ending up with 4 quart jars and 2 pint jars full of yogurt (Obviously I should have used another quart jar instead of the pints, but I didn't think it would make that much yogurt, so I ended up quickly getting out another pint jar).

In the recipe, she says that she used 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 2 TBSP of vanilla.  I cut back the sugar to 1 cup, and it's still really good.  Better for the kids that way too!  Just for reference sake, when you look at your store bought yogurt, 4 grams of sugar equals one teaspoon.  That will help you figure out how much sugar is really in it.  One of the brands that we have tried that we really liked was Astro vanilla yogurt, and it has 14 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup.  That seems like a lot, and my recipe, if I calculated correctly, is less than half that much sugar.  Note: you can actually see a container of the store bought yogurt I usually buy, in the shelf under my homemade jars.  It's Astro Original Balkan Style. That is what I used as my yogurt starter because it's just milk, cream, and active bacterial culture.  No additives.


My kids all love it, and I really do too.  The amount of yogurt that we made, all for a $5 jug of milk, should last us about a month, and would have cost between $15-20 in the store!  And because I made it in canning jars, they actually sealed in the process, which will keep them good for a long time.

If you've never made your own yogurt, I highly recommend giving it a try!

Photobucket

12 comments:

The Thiessens said...

Good for you Stacey...I've been meaning to try making some yogurt for a while. Glad it worked for you.

annejisca said...

Way to go! Homemade yogurt is sooo yummy. :) We do ours just plain, then sweeten it with homemade jam or maple syrup. Yum!

Aliesha said...

Good for you! I've been wanting to try this for a while too. Glad it was a success!

Jobina said...

So, how many litres is a gallon of milk? Did you double her recipe, because the sugar amounts seem so different between yours and hers. Glad it worked, the kids and I love yogurt, maybe I'll have to try this out! Thanks for posting your results!

Dianna said...

I always make yogurt. I never put sugar in it tho. Why do u put sugar in there? Just curious. Cause u get sugar fr the jam or fruit u put in there afterwards, that's why I never put some in. My batch always is with 4 quarts milk. i also put in milk powder yogurt culture. Then u just need to go by the correct temperatures. also did u know u can use yogurt as ur culture fr ur very own homemade yogurt next time u make it also?!

Stacey said...

Jobina - A US gallon is like 3.7 liters or something like that. So our 4 liter is pretty close to a gallon. If you scroll to the bottom of her recipe, you'll see a link to her second batch. She upped the sugar to 1 1/2 cups on that one, for the same amount of milk. So I went for 1 cup.

Dianna - We don't add jam or anything to the yogurt :) I made it vanilla flavored because then we like it just as it is. I might make plain sometime too, so we can mix in some unsweetened applesauce just for fun. And yup, I'm planning on using some of my yogurt to culture the next batch :)

Andrea said...

Hey Stacey! Obviously your internet has returned. :) yay! :) And I'm so glad the yogurt worked out well for you - I can hardly wait to give it another try once we're settled!!

Ma Bacon said...

I'm glad the yogurt turned out so well for you too and you found my blog helpful! 1 cup of sugar is all we use too (well just over a cup) and only when we make it vanilla, plain yogurt we leave out the sugar and vanilla. But it's so worth it, and much cheaper too! ver

Evan and Mel said...

Hey, we set up a new blog to document our travels, feel free to check it out if you want.
http://evanandmel.blogspot.com

Micki said...

You're so good! I love making yogurt and I think it's fun! I just wish my family liked eating it :)

Joseph Carr said...

Nothing will beat homemade yogurt! What makes it a lot special is that you made it with your own hands. It’s the effort that will help it stand out from the branded yogurts in market! Anyway, just enjoy making and eating yogurt!

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI - you don't need to add vanilla nor sugar.. These are just for flavor. Not required to make yogurt. If the real yogurt taste is not to your liking, which I'd find surprising, add honey - much better for your kids. And if they don't like the plain-no-flavor simply add some real berries when surfing.. You will be amazed ;-)