Friday, May 27, 2011

What if we were real?

This blog is my outlet. It's my place to show the real me. Sometimes it's not pretty. Sometimes I really let it all out. Most of the time, it's a place of thoughts and happenings in my life. I know I've neglected it lately, and maybe that's because there is just so much swarming around in my head, I don't quite know what to write and what not to.

Tonight we are having a Ladies Tea at our church, and I'm SO excited! The theme is Women Around the World. We are supposed to dress up as a woman from another country/culture. I'll share my costume yet, but not til after the evening is over :) Don't want to ruin the surprise!

The whole point of the evening is to really connect as women. We have a very unique church in that about 1/2 of our church body is not originally from Canada. Many have moved here from Germany, and previously from Russia and surrounding countries. It seems that there just seem to be barriers there, even if we didn't intend to do things that way. I believe our church is incredibly welcoming, but maybe we've dropped the ball along the way when it comes to really reaching inside people, getting to know them, and building a strong church body together. I'm excited to turn the focus a bit, from intense Bible training, to getting to know the hearts of the women I see every week.

Part of the issue is just the surface relationships. Like "Hey, how's it going?" "How was your week?" etc. When you know that you will just get a surface answer like "Oh, I'm fine" or "I planted the garden, baked some cookies, etc". I want to really know these women. To make a deep connection. I want to be familiar enough with people that they know they can just drop in anytime, call me for no reason, and that I can do the same!

I don't know a lot about Mandisa (thought I do remember her from American Idol), but today I came across one of her new songs, and it TOTALLY spoke to me. This is what I want. Have a listen :)



Photobucket

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I liked the door prize you made. Very cute! Have a great time! I know it's so hard to be real in real life. I find myself not liking the question "How are you" because it's so easy to give a flippant answer and not get down to the nitty gritty. I hope this evening is fun but also lets you see a whole new side of each woman. :)

Mrs. Stam said...

"what if we weren't afraid of this crazy mess"

Don't you just love that verse!

Someone told be to be able to minister to other we shouldn't be afraid to get dirty, meaning we all have dirty laundry and sharing it all together is messy but is a path to healing, make sense?

thanks for sharing this video

Sheila said...

What if we were real?
Good question.
I've got LOTS to say on that topic, I really do believe this would be a different world if we were all real and stopped hiding behind our fake facades. I do believe a lot of people are scared to open up for fear of what others might think of them. Many people hide behind their "things" ie. worldly possessions. I'll stop there because I could go on and on and on, and I don't want to step on anybody's toes or offend anybody.
Keep it real. I love that concept.