Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nutrimill Update

It's been a long time since I posted about using my grain mill. I've had it for a bout a year now, and I'm loving it more than ever!

I have been using my mill weekly for the past year, mostly for making 100% whole grain bread. Of course, I've made pancakes, cookies, muffins, and other goodies too, but mostly just bread. The kids really love homemade bread, and it makes a great healthy breakfast.

The last few weeks I've been learning more about grains and putting my mill to better use. Bread Beckers website is an awesome resource for learning. They also happen to be believers and they have done a lot of studying in the Word to see what God has to say about healthy eating. I've been watching their online video classes and have learned a lot about making bread and many other tasty things with whole grains. If you live in the US, you can also buy some amazing products from them. Of course, I highly recommend a mill, and if you live in Canada, you can buy one from Healthy Kitchens using the link in my sidebar.

I've experimented with several recipes for whole grain bread during the past year as well. Some didn't turn out that well, so I found a few others. My favorite is from Tammy's Recipes (NOTE: I use the 100% Whole Wheat version). It always turns out great. The only thing I don't like about it is using extra gluten. So I recently started making this one from Bread Beckers. The only downside to this one is the eggs (I don't always have a lot on hand), and I also have to cut it down by 1/3 so I can fit the recipe in my Kitchen Aid.

Tomorrow I'm picking up some more grain from our local buying group (I just used the last of my wheat today), and I'm excited to try some more recipes. One of the first things I'm going to try is using the Ezekial flour to make muffins. It's a mixture of grains and beans, which means that whatever you bake with it becomes a complete protein! Very cool.

There is much to be learned about whole grains still.  I'm sure I'll be updating again when I learn more.
Photobucket

9 comments:

Mom said...

That bread looks and sounds tasty. Wonder if you can cut back the honey?

Stacey said...

Which recipe did you look at Mom? I do 1/4 cup usually, for two loaves.

Lindsey said...

I am totally interested in the mill. I would love to mill my own flour and make all my own bread. Someday we will have to get together and you can teach me everything your know. I also will need your opinion on what cloth diapers to invest in and what baby carriers to get! (Hopefully soon)

I think the Ezekial bread/flour is the coolest thing ever. Like how awesome is that? God told this dude to put a bunch of random stuff in a jar and then eat it for a long period of time thousands of years ago, and just recently we realized that it makes a compete protein, which is why someone can just live off that. God is so incredible like that.

Stacey said...

I would love to teach you Lindsey! I know I'm totally excited about the Ezekiel flour! Not sure if I'll try making the bread, because of all the honey in it, but you can use the flour for other stuff.

Sheila said...

Those loaves look really good! I wish I could get bread to turn out for me, maybe one day.

Andrea said...

I agree - I LOVE our mill too. :) I think now that I read this post I told you a loooong time ago I'd send you my bread recipe over?? But not sure if I ever did that! :) Anyways...I use the breadmaker to make my dough and then bake it in the oven - so probably basically the same as you using the kitchen aid to mix it. It's super simple and it works really well for us!! So since, I can't remember if I ever sent it to you...or even if I ever told you about it...haha :), I'll just type it out here:

1 1/2 cups warm water
3 1/2 tbsp oil (I use lard and it is fluffier!)
3 1/2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
4 cups whole wheat flour (I use about 3/4 cup ground spelt in the mix to help it rise better and it works REALLY good)
2 1/2 tsp. yeast

That's it! :) Let me know how it works out if you decide to give it a try!

Candace said...

Hello Stacey,
Do you get the Ezekial flour locally? Also, do you make your bread in a machine?
Not that I have time to make bread...but I'm dreaming of it some day! :)
I love the idea of the fresh, organic bread, especially with the Ezekial flour.

Stacey said...

Hi Candace. I actually mixed all the grains and beans for the Ezekiel flour myself and ground it in my mill. I used it to make muffins yesterday, and they are super yummy!

I mix my dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer. I can mix enough for two loaves at a time. A bread maker would work too, but then it would just be 1 loaf at a time, which I would find annoying for our family.

Mrs. Stam said...

Glad you still like it :-) We will try to grow our own grain next spring, so maybe will get one of those :-)