Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gluten Free

Last week I was feeling super sluggish and just awful in the evenings.  I was also experiencing some stomach pain, and figured it wasn't just normal pregnancy stuff.  So I asked my Mom what to do.  Being the smart lady that she is, she suggested cutting wheat out of my diet for a while to see if it helped.  I was reluctant, but hey, I was feeling so lousy, I had nothing to lose.

The very first day that I went gluten free, I felt amazing!  Just the typical pregnancy tiredness, but nothing else.  I couldn't believe it.  So I went another day without.  And again, I felt great.

Sunday I decided was my day to try eating wheat again.  I was attending a banquet for Trans World Radio and I didn't really know what they would be serving, so I figured it would be a good day to test out my theory.  Well, I didn't feel as awful as before, but I was definitely sluggish and had a really bad taste in my mouth by the evening.

I can't say I'm overly thrilled that I seem to be sensitive to gluten right now.  I love homemade bread.  It's hard to give up such a normal part of my diet.  But with the improvement I see in how I feel, I think it's going to be worth it.  I have "cheated" several times with one slice of bread, or one cookie or something small.  I seem to do OK. I don't get sick or anything, though I do notice that I don't feel as good.

Now if I could only remember to buy foods that I can snack on!  That's the hardest part.  I'm hungry all day as it is, and finding healthy snacks is proving to be a bit tricky.  I do have a few things I want to try though.



One is these chocolate frosting shots.  I know, I know, it sounds super unhealthy, but just go check it out, OK?  I already have a can of coconut milk in the fridge.








This cauliflower pizza seems to be spreading around Pinterest as well.  I think it sounds interesting.  Not sure I'm a believer yet.









And lastly, some yummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.  Mmmmm.





3 comments:

annejisca said...

That's too bad about the gluten! :/ I'll be interested to hear how you like cauli-pizza though, I've seen it floating around pinterest so much!

I'll be praying for you, that God brings you a doctor you can trust and be at peace with.

Kalle said...

I have heard amazing things about going gluten free. I'm on the fence because like you I loooove my homemade bread and can't envision giving it up right now.

Cauliflower pizza is a huge win at our house. My kids don't like pizza (i'm cherishing this right now) but will gobble it up if I make it with cauliflower - strange kids I know.

You'll have to let us know about the chocolate shots. They look so good.

Eva said...

I have a great gluten free flour mixture recipe I can share with you.. it works great cookies, cakes and muffins. I buy a gluten free pizza crust flour mixture from Bulk Barn and it's great!