Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kindergarten

This year Bria started Kindergarten.  I have to admit, I was very apprehensive about how she would handle it.  I figured she's be running home after me every day.  I figured we'd have lots of tears and struggles.

Surprisingly, it's been so much better!  She held on pretty tight the first day, but within a couple of minutes, she was off to her class, happily putting away her backpack.

The hardest part about Kindergarten is getting ready in the morning.  I'm having a hard time being cheerful when I have to remind her every 2 minutes to keep on task.  It can take 5 minutes just to get her to brush her hair some mornings.  I'm not sure how I will manage to get us all out the door when I'm 8 months pregnant.

The other struggle is more recent.  For the first month or so, I walked her to her classroom every morning.  This requires taking off my shoes, since they don't really like outdoor footwear in the school.  Well, it snowed last week.  I had my boots on, that have laces.  I did not want to go through the effort of untying and then tying them again.  So I told Bria that she would get to walk to her class by herself that day.

That resulted in a huge fit.  She was crying and telling me that she would just go home then.  Finally a resource teacher pried her off of me and carried her to her class.  I felt like the world's worst mom.  It was awful.  The good thing was that when I came to pick her up, she was totally happy and her teacher said she had a great day.

So how can I encourage her to go to her class on her own from now on?  I do not want to go back to walking her to her door every day.  In fact, her teacher discourages it too.  I need a solution!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

What about a little reward of some sort if she walks to her classroom by herself without any crying, etc? Not sure if that works for your kids...but it works GREAT for ours. :) Not sure what type of prize would motivate her the most...but for our kids it's a little bit of money, being able to pick an extra prize out of the prize box, or being able to do a special activity that they don't normally get to do (like kid games on the computer :) ), or something like that! Hope you can find an easy solution!

Stacey said...

Honestly, I don't think that would work for her. I think she's actually really scared to walk around the corner.

Cindi said...

I went through something similar with my daughter and her walking to school. (I could see the school from our front yard.)We set little goals that ultimately led to the end goal. The first week i walked her the whole way, the next to the sidewalk in front of the school, the next to the corner where i watched her safely cross the street, and the next I just stood outside and watched her. We always talked about the next week's goal beforehand too so she knew what was coming and was prepared for it. Maybe something like that would work. Even if you do it door by door away from her classroom and with only a day or two in between.

Jen said...

Is she at JRW?? If so that is so weird, I have a friend who has been told she is not allowed to walk her child to the classroom, and that she should not even be coming into the school. I'm sure it'll just take time with Bria, as she gets more confident, she'll come around. Last year with Boden I would tell him before we even left the house that morning that I would not be walking him to his class that day, and that I would bring him to the school doors instead.