Monday, May 25, 2015

Lazy Sunday Afternoon Update

Hello, friends!  Yesterday while lounging around all afternoon, I thought about how I should probably post a bit of an update here on the old blog.  I even attempted to film some video of Holland to show you what she has been learning at her therapy sessions.  While I did get some cute little videos, she didn't feel like cooperating.  Silly girl!

So, let's get to the updating.  Maybe a quick recap?  Holly was diagnosed in early February with bilateral hearing loss.  Severe in her left ear and profound in her right ear.  In mid March she was fitted with hearing aids and has been wearing them daily for the past 2 1/2 months.

We also started therapy in a city that is 1 1/2 hours drive from us.  So I take Holland once a week to sit and "play with toys" aka, learn to listen and speak.  We play with playdough, shape sorters, wind up toys, sand, water, and many other things.  Holland's therapist, let's call her B, is wonderful and knows how to keep things moving so that Holland doesn't get too upset about sitting for an hour.


About a month ago we started to see some small steps forward.  She is now starting to babble a bit like a baby.  She says "mamamama" which is pretty cute.  I wanted to catch it on video, but haven't yet.  Hopefully soon!  She is also starting to use the rhythm of speech in her babbling.  So she might use "um um um" to mean come come come.  Slow and steady!

We are definitely still pursuing a cochlear implant for her right ear.  There are tests and and appointments that need to happen before we know for sure if she is a good candidate for the surgery.  She will need an MRI sometime soon.  Possibly a CT Scan.  I'm hoping to avoid the CT, if at all possible.

Overall, I'm encouraged with how things are going, though there is still a very long road ahead of us.  I can't wait to feel like I actually know exactly what is going on and who to ask which questions.  It's getting easier, for sure.


I will end with an interesting little story from last weekend.

We spent the weekend at my in-law's house, three hours from us.  We did fun things like visit the Narcisse Snake Dens.  Maybe I will post about that later :)

On Sunday evening, while it was SNOWING outside... yes, snowing, my Mother-in-law mentioned that we could call up a relative that has two deaf kids and see if she would like to meet us sometime.  I was kind of hesitant, because I'm not a phone person. Especially not with strangers!  But, she made the call and then put me on the line.  I chatted with the mother of the 2 deaf "kids" who are actually adults.  We hope to meet her and her daughter in a couple weeks!

The most interesting part of the story is that they helped to start the clinic where we go for therapy.  Years ago, there was no place in our Province to get Auditory/Verbal therapy, so they had to drive quite a distance.  A bunch of parents got together and started this clinic, where they now have a great staff available to help out families like ours, free of charge!  Pretty awesome.

So, that's it for today.  Thanks to those of you who tough it out and keep checking back here for updates :)

No comments: